Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LawnSlave

Need new 12 HP engine

LawnSlave

My 4212 just ate the crank on its replacement 12 HP IC engine.:(:(! It was only 5 years old.8C It doesn't seem the old IC engines are available now. Does anyone have a new 12HP crate engine they would like to sell? Has anyone changed over to the OHV engine in a 42XX series mower with any success? Seems the biggest problem is a exhaust pipe to connect with the stock muffler.

steve-wis

I have found the best thing to do is find a beat up murray or craftsman with a good engine and buy it for the engine, then scrap the rest. Should be able to find one for $100 or so, at least we can around here in Wisconsin.

mtoney

Agreed and watch ebay and small engine warehouse, they get close outs and warehouse finds so its not always just the OHV engines on hand brand new. You can also try a wanted post on craigslist as well as hunt for a cheap donor tractor on there. Mike

sammiefish

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/Repower-Old-Equipment/Simplicity-4212-Category/

says its a replacement for: Original Model: Briggs 281707

Its actually a 21 HP but they say it fits!! it is a new engine

$675

whats happening to eat a 5 year old crank? are you mowing on hills?

if so, you probably want a tractor / motor with pressurized lubrication.

LawnSlave

Pancake flat yard. Was mowing the flattest part at the time. When this engine was new, it seemed to retain compression after stopping which made it harder to restart. I thought these engines had a compression relief valve? Changed oil, air filters, gas filters and lube. Engine has bad vibration, noise but no smoke. Maybe the counter weight broke?