Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

YEP!...It IS A Broken Axel on my HB212!!*#@$

Steve72

Heard a loud pop from the rear end..axle turns but not the hub on the left side. Axel doesn't appear to be broken/split but something else. I can't see anything wrong with the right side hub or axle(with all the gears. Not sure what to disassemble or look at first and hoping this isn't out of my skill capabilities to fix..Any good threads on fixing this problem? Bad timing for this--need the HB bad:(

Thanks for you help

Sometimes the collar on the left side Axel will work loose

allowing Axel to shift to the rt.disengaging the gear

in the hub.

if that is it,it's an easy fix just jack it up and push

the Axel back in and slide the collar back and tighten it

up.

If that isn't it I would start by checking out the the roll

Pins on the hub gear,they shear and can cause the same problem.

If that's it the roll pins are near impossible to get out,what

I do is turn the gear so it between the pins and drill new holes.

I hope there is some help here,Good Luck.

Jim

OK--started it back up and grabbed the axle on the left side...it turns when the hydro is engaged and I can't stop it with hand/wrench pressure. I see nothing going on with the geared right side. Are the keys you speak of on the left side? I understand what you mean Jim and will check those roll pins too.

This sounds like maybe I got lucky and didn't break the axle---unless the shear pins are a bear to replace!!

Remove the outer collar and slide the right side hub out of the diff. Check to see if the roll pins are sheared allowing the gear to separate from the hub. If they are intact, then look farther inside the diff at the keys on the axle to see if they are sheared off. It could also be broken spider gears in the differential. You have to tear into the right side to check all of these.

Thanks Rod--I was wondering if I should start on the right or left side. It is misleading since the axle tube was turning on the left side---but not the hub!. I will proceed as you have recommended--and also looked through all the threads available using the search term "broken axle" and saw a few (Ray had one with a couple of images that will help) but maybe there is a better one that I am missing?

Thanks again1!!

I know my spare 3112H axle doesn`t have roll pins. The gear is pressed on. Not sure when they made the change.

...Hub Roll Pins

I came up with a way to remove broken Roll Pins from

the Hub...With a small drill inside the broken roll pins,

drill through the broken pin into and through the hub so

you'll have a guide hole...Then drill a big enough hole

in the back side of the hub to the base of the broken pin

which will allow a punch to be inserted to push out the

broken pins so you can replace them.....

This is what I was doing when I broke it. Having so much fun I thought I'd stop and take a picture to brag about the JB---and jinxed it!!

Alice Hauling Crap.jpg

Damn! Pulled right out! Snapped in half.

Alice Busted Axle 1.jpg

Alice Busted Axle.jpg

Well it's research time--then gather cold beers and tear into it. Any pictures, threads etc... will be much appreciated!!!Stay tuned as I'll try to take some shots as I work through this---won't be Greg Pointon quality---but I'll give it a shot!!

57e05e436ce90_AliceHaulingCrap.jpg.f50c51f530850c95f161152c5f182abe.jpg

57e05e437d549_AliceBustedAxle1.jpg.9a6e166fce8057a51f176211d68da995.jpg

57e05e43884ce_AliceBustedAxle.jpg.9d6e180cf703c7a5fcd6feff33f15a97.jpg

Ouch...I was/am considering just loading it up and taking to Sandy Lake for a thorough going over...with new seals and all---this could be expensive...like 400 to 500 bucks or so..

Anyone know if there's a way to stop one from breaking, if there's already a hairline crack from the corner of the keyway? I have a spare from a 3 speed that I purchased only to find it with that tell-tale stress crack. Its otherwise perfect. If it can be saved and it fits the hydro transaxle, I will give it to Steve. Not sure if the P/N crosses though..

Thanks for the awesome gestures guys and same goes for the PM's I recieved right after I posted/whined about my troubles.

I spoke with Bill at Sandy Lake and his cost to replace with a new one was quite reasonable once I compared it to me on my back/butt fumbling my way through installing a used axle---maybe its fatigued--maybe not---but the question would loom until I jammed the Johnny Bucket into more piles of goat manure and got comfortable with it---or snap it again!

I wish I had multiple tractors when one goes down---but no room nor inclination to do that---just want one---as close to perfect as I can keep it. Probably will head to Sandy this week to drop it off and let them do their thing and maybe take a look around inside the case for any chunks that broke off.

By the way--I think I mighjt have caused this with low oil in the case. When I pulled the broken half out of the case no oil ran out of the hole and the axle had distinct shiny/wear areas at the bushings. Also the area where the axle snapped was worn in a good .030 or so.

Thanks again for the offers of help!!! You guys make this site a life saver for novices like me!!!

I had a used axle tube for a Vickers, out and ready to ship to a buyer until I got my magnifying glass out, yup it had stress cracks already forming near the keyways. Seems like the hydro's put quite a bit of stress on the axle tubes due to the speed at which they can change direction!