Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416 loss of power when mowing ?

94ranger55

Hello everybody , I have a loss of power when mowing to the point of only being to mow very slowly and not being able to mow thick or high grass . This is the first season I have encountered these problems.

I have always used fresh gas , carburetor idles fine and I seem to get full rpm power upon full throttle ! Also checked the plug and cleaned it , also greased all spindle arbors and the turn freely .

Do you think it's a case of a carb rebuild and or cleaning ?

Also the tractor burns some oil , a suggestion from trusted simplicity dealer said the 50 w oil in the warm months . So far my oil level has not dropped thus far and his suggestion is working , but wondering if its causing the lack of power ?

Any help would very much appreciated , thanks !

When you say "loss of power" what exactly do you mean? Engine bogs down and wants to die? Or:

quote:mow very slowly and not being able to mow thick or high grassid="quote">
id="quote">

engine runs but blades don't turn enough to cut grass?

Loss of power , from engine resulting in deck blades to stop spinning .

I had some carb problems about a week ago and adjusted the carb per manual instructions . I am wondering if the fast idle is set incorrectly , resulting in not enough fuel to power the engine under full load?

...Not sure what engine you have, but if it has points, make

sure they are clean and set (proper timing) on the money....

Some engines need to be checked a couple of times a year to

make good power all the time....

Engine is the orginal 16 hp single cylinder Briggs and Stratton . I have never checked or cleaned points , maybe that with the idle screw not being dialed in 100 % is the problem ?!

I don't know that specific engine, but if it's reaching full RPMs with no load, but then bogging down under normal load, it sounds like a governor spring or adjustment maybe? An extreme lean condition will rob your torque as well. Have you checked your fuel filter / flow?

When you first engage the blade, does it take a while to get back up to full RPMs?

carbadj.jpg

The adjustments in the manual are ball park adjustments to get it running. Try richening your needle valve some.If it still has the screen in the tank these like to get clogged and cause similar issues. Took me 6 months to realize my tank screen was half plugged. Caused loss of power and no carb adjustment would solve that for me. If yours has the original gas tank for the 3400 series it probably has the molded elbow and it shouldn`t have the screen. Think they went to the fuel elbow with screen and rubber bushing on the 7000 series.

carbadj.jpg.b6d579b26401a65d243e6711bacf4852.jpg

quote:Loss of power , from engine resulting in deck blades to stop spinning .

id="quote">
id="quote">

So, engine also stops at this point, correct?

@ brett the engine doesn't stop , but slows down then comes back to full throttle

@ dlkelly and yes when I engage the mower blades then engine slows up then takes a while to come back to full speed .

I am wondering if it could be bad bearings in the deck. You would have to remove the deck + covers + belt and "free spin" all of the arbors and idler pulleys. Jut a thought.jh

Thanks for the help , going to try to adjust carb and then go to points if needed . I'll let you know what happens .

If you believe there are engine power issues, AND if the blades stop, and the engine does not, you have two different issues. The engine may be underpowered, but you have issues with the drive belts, cone clutch, something regarding the deck blades. Assuming you do have an underpowered engine, then you potentially have two distinct and different issues.

Thanks for all help guys ! I re adjusted the carb and made a world of difference ! Also checked the air cleaner , lets just say it was in less then stellar condition ! After a good cleaning the old 3416 ran much better.( picking up a new filter this week)

@ Brett I think that there is a belt issue regarding the deck , if I remember correctly there are adjustments that can be made on the belts so that they grip and pull better ? The belt that comes of the PTO and runs the deck was bought in late September last year has not mowed much at all. What belt issue do you believe is causing the deck to slow or stop in the heavy duty grass?

Someone told me one time "90% of all carburetor problems are electrical in nature" He was referring to the ignition system.

Ken

Last time I checked, the oil pressure in a cast iron Briggs single is pretty low at all times (LOL).

"Check your oil level. Low oil pressure will cause the speed governor to slack up and reduce fuel feed."

Tom(PK)

The deck arbor belt will slip, heat up, center arbor blade will turn, other two blades will turn erratically or not at all. I had this happen recently and adjusted the belt tensioner under the covers.