Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is a man's word good?

gjh

I posted a few weeks ago about buying a local (1 hr away) 3416. I was asking about how to ID the 16 hp on this site. Anyway I spoke to the guy 2X and after a week of not being able to hook up I told him I would take it and send a deposit check. He said no problem didn't need the deposit, I insisted, but he told me take my time to come by. He was selling the tractor and a Craftsman blower for $300 for the pair. I told him I only wanted the tractor and we agreed on $175. He called a day later and said his neighbor was buying both units; I was kind of irritated and told him we had a deal. He texted me back later that night and said he spoke to his neighbor and said it was mine. He said "I don't renig on deals"

Two days later I took some time off work and went by his house to check the machine out. He didn't know much about it, but it was parked outside so I could go see it.

It was a hydro with a 16hp that turned over with a jump of the starter, but no key so I couldn't run it. any way he wanted $175 with a Wheel Horse plow. I called him from his house and told him I would take it and had a trailer lined up for the next day.

Planned on leaving work early to pick up son & trailer and 15 minutes before I left he called me and told me he sold the tractor. I had already borrowed a trailer and my son was waiting for me.

Now I was pretty angry and I told him how he was going back on his word, again. I actually just resent the text about what he said about not reniging on a deal & said have a nice day.

It still bothers me two weeks later as I really had my heart set on a 16hp upgrade.

So; what's up with people, is a man's word worthless??

Well his word is not any good, that is a fact, but I think most folks who say they will hold something until it can be picked up are honest enough to do so. Hope the next time you have better luck.

I have held things for months and months....sometimes they show and a few times they peter out. Now' if its someone I dont know, or not a club member, I only hold with payment. As for buying...I try to be the first one with cash...try to make it work if I nee it that bad. A few times I have been told 'It will be here' by folks I dont know, and they have been good on their word, but I dont count on it and ALWAYS call before leaving town to head their way.

Cash is always good...just this weekend pick up a different car for my daughter. Another person was looking at it, they were not sure about the car and did not have cash, so if they really wanted it the deal had to be done on Monday. I had the cash, we got the car.

I jumped on the 7016H/deck/blower/tiller/blade last summer. I always try to be the first one to send mail after the ad hits. This guy had a flood of e-mails but mine was first so he held the stuff for me until the weekend. Another buyer tried to pressure the seller into selling it to him instead... "I'm driving up north and will be passing right by your place at 1pm. I will have cash in hand and an empty trailer... If the other buyer hasn't shown up by then, I will take it..." The seller contacted me one last time to confirm that I really was coming to get it and really wanted me there before 1PM... I reassured him, gave him all of my phone numbers, and after scrambling to pickup my dad's trailer, 1 hour the _other_ way from town, I got up there by 12:45... I test drove the tractor, looked at implements, had a bit of a rag chew and by 3PM, was loaded and on the way. The other desperate buyer never showed...

It kind of goes both ways.. I always act honorably..

The incident that has me seething was the fully restored B110 with a few implements for $300. I jumped on it within 2 hours of the ad being posted but received a reply the unit was verbally taken and that I was second in line... Got mail later that evening it had been sold.. The very next day, the unit was back up for sale for $1800... Used the same photos as the previous ad even... I realize it's first-come-first-served but I have no patience for opportunists who just want to make a buck off someone else's back without adding any value...

That's enough ranting from me though...

I appreciate your frustration. I feel most people are true to their word or try to be. I had a washer and dryer for sale a few years back 60 each or both for 100. Had a guy show up wanted them both but couldn't fit both in his truck as it had some other stuff in it. Gave me 50 and said he would be back the following day for the other....he never came back. He scammed me for 10 bucks.... Had a guy recently who wanted to trade a ford 9inch rear axle for a trolling motor. I made the deal, went to camp and was already to meet him an hour away with trolling motor in hand and when I called to confirm he never called back.... what can you do? Every other deal I have made on CL or other venue has been good which is a pretty good track record....

I was trying to find a rare item on CL. One popped up one day, so I called the guy, let him know that I wanted it for his price. He was busy and we were unable to hook up that day, but he assured me that "it'll be here". The next day, he said he had a busy week planned, and it would be the next week before I could pick it up. The day before I was to pick it up, he calls me to tell me he sold it. After stewing for a little while, I had to call him back and let him know in no uncertain terms that his actions were pathetic and just plain wrong. My hope is that he'll think twice before he shafts someone else.

All I ask is honesty... If you won't hold it, that's fine... just tell the truth!

Dan

I have not had good luck on people holding items for me. Was going to buy a Sunstar, told them I would call before leaving, got directions and told them I would be there around 1:00 but due to never being there I said I could be 15-20 minutes late, gave them my phone number and oh, they would be home all day. Called them at 1:10 and said I'm 5 minutes out and her response was DON'T BOTHER, you weren't here at 1:00 so I sold it GOOD BYE!! I also bought a two-stage blower for a person quite a distance away and said I couldn't go that far till the weekend and he said he has to go to a place about an hour from me and he would throw it in the truck and bring the checkbook and meet him. Some can be so good and others don't really care, just get their money,

Eldon on the Unofficial Allis Forum site, went to look at a tractor, was test driving it and when someone else arrived and was talking to the owner. When Eldon got off of the tractor the owner said he sold it to the other guy. So it doesn't always matter if you arrive first. Bob

We'll find out. "Bought" a tractor tonight, picking it up tomorrow morning. Guy said it's mine as I was the first caller. Now, we find out if my trust in others bites me in the derriere, or I consummate the agreement............

Now that was the lowest thing I ever heard. Can you imagine getting off a tractor and the guy telling you he just sold it while you were on it. Man that is COLD!8C

I was looking at an old sailboat. Was sitting inside of it with my 9 year old son and the seller. The seller's phone rang so he climbed out of the boat. While he was talking on the phone, my son and I decided we'd take it.. My son was already imagining himself taking the helm and so forth. The seller comes in and says "Some guy just bought the boat, sight unseen. Sorry."

• 2 weeks later...

SIGNS OF HE TIMES AND ITS GOING TO GET WORSE BUT LOOK AT IT THIS WAY ALSO. HOW MANY FOLK SAY I,LL TAKE IT AND BE THERE AT SUCH AND SUCH A TIME AND NEVER SHOW UP OR EVEN CALL AND THE SELLER MISSES A SALE. ITS HAPPENNED TO ME A BUNCH. MY CONDOLENCES, KEEP LOOKING AND IF YOU DONT LET THIS BOTHER YOU THE LORD WILL MOSSTLIKELY SEND YOU ANOTHER PROBABLY BETTER TOO.

Its just the way it is. I look at it this way, sometimes it happens for a reason. If the guy is willing to go back on his word, whats to say the unit was what he said it was? I found its not yours until its in the truck! Maybe someone off of work who was less fortunate got a deal. In the whole scope of things a tractor does not matter, there will always be another. Its the thrill of the chase! That's what I like about the club, great people who would not do this! I used to scour craigslist and can tell you that if you are not in the truck on the way your chances are 50/50 of buying the item unless the buyer deletes the add, I would ask them to. But really, if you do not get it, what are you out. At least you got excited about something for a little while. Just my 2 cents worth.:D

I don't quite understand exactly 1)You said you 'made a deal' but

2)you said you went by to 'look at it' if you 'made a deal' the looking part is over with in my opinion.If I know someone its different but when I advertise on places like Craigslist its 'first person to hand over cash gets the worm' or tractor.Only an hr away and

its a great deal you better be on the road immediately.Sounds like you messed around several days and still didn't Pony up any $$$ after you went by and looked at the tractor.'Making a deal' means to me I bought the item and I need to pay the owner and pick up what I bought.

Most people are honest. I bought a weed cutter out of Syracuse NY. and made the deal over the phone and trusted them with the payment and shipping. 4 days later my weed cutter was in my front yard. I think it's best to give a person a chance, it won't take them long to prove if their word is good or not. I know I'll be setting myself up to being burnt one day but 1 bad apple doesn't ruin the bunch.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

Lesson learned.

id="quote">
id="quote">"Free" education. Chalk it up to experience. I betchya he won't let it happen the same way twice.;);)

i tell every one up front when they say they want it and want me to hold it that first one with cash gets it. i have had way to many no shows. i have a duplex and was looking for renters and would have only about 25% of the people show after we would sent up a time to look at it. so i never believe anyone till there in front of me with cash.

Got hosed this week...got ahold of a fella and swore I would take the tractor sight-unseen...offered to pay in full via paypal and was told 'not necessary'. We had a time and place and I was ready to hook up the trailer. 'Saturday morning is fine'. Got a call a few hours later...'Im sorry its sold'. censored1.gif....

• 2 months later...

Saw this older post today after getting burned on a trade- guy wanted to trade me his plow and hitch for my powermax wheel weights. He is two hours away and had two previous deals with him and felt a little uneasy on both deals. Anyway, this weasel makes a commitment for the trade and we were to hook up this week by meeting halfway for the swap. Couldn't get together last night after multiple texts, finally got text today saying he had sold plow to someone in New York after he initiated the first call fo the trade. Not happening again Weasel Pete.

Lesson learned - do business with the honorable old guys, not the weasels...

Good Karma came around to me a month ago or so when Ray S from the site sold me a really nice Magnetron 16 Briggs. A weekend of swapping out & my T12 is now a T16; runs like a new tractor. Thanks Ray!

And then this weekend scored a Craftsman 3500 watt (Generac) generator for $100; almost like new that guy couldn't keep running cause the oil pressure switch was defective. An inexpensive unit, but great for the 1-2 times a year we lose power.

There are some good people out there!

There are some people that do what they say and I missed out on a good dealCCC Guy advertised a 2010 Prestige on Craigs List on Friday morning. Only asking $3250 for it. First guy that called him said he would like to look at it but couldn't come till Monday. Guy said he would hold it for him and obviously he took it. He wouldn't let me look at it till the guy came. He was a trusting guy.

I suspect I got burned also:( This spring I sold a tiller and rear lift bracket to a guy at the Portland Indiana swap meet(happens to be a club member but I won't mention his name) and he asked if I could loan him a lift cable for his 7112 so he could make his own and so he could get his garden tilled for the spring. He seemed like a honest person so I agreed and loaned him a nice original cable. I recently had the need for the cable so I tried to contact him thru both PM and email and have gotten no response at allB).

I guess you just cannot trust anyone anymore!

Dan