Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Prestige 4WD Steering Bracket Quest.

freedo5

I have a Simplicity 2010 Prestige 4WD garden tractor. I was wondering if anyone had a similar 4WD model with power steering that could tell me which hole the carriage bolt goes through in the bracket. I had to perform some repairs with the steering and did not make note which of the three square holes the carriage bolt came from. If anyone has a Prestige 4WD and can look at the front right wheel bracket that the power steering cylinder attaches to I would be thankful.

That would be great. I couldn't believe that I didn't note which hole the carriage bolt went in....felt pretty silly.

Ohhhhhh I wouldn't feel too silly. Check out the Senior Moments blog. You might rate as an Einstein, actually.

My Prestige is not 4WD and doesn`t have power steering. So, I cant help. Sorry. Do you have a Mfg. No. of the tractor? The parts manuals usually help a lot.

Have any of you had any problems with that carriage bolt repeatedly breaking? I'm using grade 5 bolts and if I do about 10 hours of mowing, the bolt is breaking off? Any ideas?

I would not continue to use it until the cause is found.The tie rod from the cylinder is adjustable.Check cyl travel comparison to steering hard stops.

I can't find any cause the dealer doesn't know either. The tie rod adjustment seems to be correct but is their a good way to tell? Locknut, you also mention to check the travel comparison to steering hard stops. Can you explain that a little more for me with regards to what I should look for?

Thanks

I looked at mine this evening.Doesn't look like the cyl will extend or retract enough to hit the front spindle stops.I have no idea what could cause this,except there must be misalignment of the components to cause the bolt to snap off.You'd think a dealer could figure it out.I'd tell them to check the front axle assembly mount/pivot for excessive wear.

• 3 years later...

I have a 2010 Simplicity Prestige and also having problems with the stearing bolt busting off on the bracket that mounts to the front wheel. From the post above it looks like the cariage bolt goes through the center square hole, however on simplicities parts break down it shows it going through the square hole on the left. Can someone confirm here where that bolt goes through please?

Is there a way to post a picture on this forum?