Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Has anyone used this???

Chris Delapp has one similar that he used the other day. The post is in Show and Tell. Core aeration is what all the commercial lawn care services use. Suppose to be far superior to spike aerators because it removes a plug.

I have been looking for one myself. They are alot cheaper in the middle of winter on Craigslist.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=125134

For them to work well / properly, the ground needs to be relatively soft and moist. Spring is best. They do not work well for instance, in mid summer with the ground packed and hard. Also, you need something big enough to pull them if you have a hilly yard. I know this because the neighbor has one, and a small (Regent size) John Deere. He has some issues on a slight slope. I have borrowed it and have no issues at all with the Sovereign.

I have one like it. The only thing I notice is the spacing is pretty wide, you will need to go over it twice to aerate enough. Other than that it works good. Be careful not to back up though, you will break the teeth. I would aerate twice in spring. My yard went from complete run off to lush in 2 years time. It is simply amazing the difference. I would actually inner seed a day after rain to thicken the lawn. It promotes deep root growth and the lawn does not stress in the heat as bad.

I aerated a day after a nice soaking rain. The ground was soft and moist. I plan on doing it once more after another nice soaking rain.

I second the no reverse notion.

I don't suppose that the hydro lift could apply sufficient downward pressure if someone were to build something belly-mounted?

To wit... use the deck lift bracket (but with a rod, not a cable) and the front hitch. Maybe use some sort of heavy duty compression spring to provide sufficient down force but not in a rigid way.

I know the tray would be, but I'm just talking about the shaft and aerator wheels. Probably not the best idea anyway, as aerating season and mowing season coincide...

I don't think you would get enough down pressure, plus if you hit a rock the aerator would push up on the bar and tractor, similiar to running a tiller in the non-float position.

It's great with the blocks on the back and very heavy.

I have one, it does a great job! I used it a few weeks ago, before I fertilized. It also destroyed the mole mounds!

I spent 6 years involved with the Iowa Sports Turf Managers Association. It was all about sports field management.

Aeration is the single best thing to do for your grass. Through testing at the Iowa State turf farm it was determined that 40 3/4" holes per square foot was about ideal. It was explained to us to aerate until you have the grass completely ruined,then hit it one more time:O If you drag the yard after aeration, the crumbled cores will help to level that humps and bumps. Leave the rollers in the grove as all they do is compact the dirt making it harder for the grass to grow roots.

Second is fertilization. We recommended to apply potash and nitrogen in equal amounts. One pound of each per 1000 square feet. For a football or soccer field we said six applications per year. For the home lawn, three or four would be a great plenty. The first spring application should be no more that 1/2 pound per 1000 to prevent or slow down that first flush of growth.

If you have a HUGE yard, PRG's (plant growth regulators) are also a good tool. If you have a great stand of grass, a PRG will slow the top growth and promote root growth. Cuts down on mowing also!!

Ken

Actually... 12% of surface area. That's still a lot. I could see this for sports turf, with all the traffic and resulting compaction, but a home lawn?

I have rolled my lawn in the Spring for years, until this year. Mainly to take out some of the roughness of the ride while mowing. I read about how its hard on your grass because of the compaction issue, but wonder if a guy could roll it and then follow up with the core aerator. Because I did not roll this year,its a rougher ride and takes an extra two beers time to get the lawn mowed.

Thanks for the input. Guess I'm off the Fleet Farm---------my lawn is 27 years old and not looking good. It hasn't gotten any attention except fertilizer once or twice a year, dandelion spray, and mowing. It needs something more!!!