Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tuning questions battery ignition.

GWGAllisfan

Does anyone have a trick for setting points to help get the feeler guage around the grille frame, carb muffler all that?

Last night I was trying to mow with the Landlord, ( so much rain lately, you can almost watch grass grow!) and it was running really poorly. I'd adjusted Carb all I could and began to wonder about the points. (It's coil ignition converted) Once I took the cover off there was almost no way to get the feeler guage in there. I tried all orientations and just couldn't.

I decided to tune by ear. set carb to the proper 1.5 turns out, then run points to what looked close, listen to how it ran, then go from there.

Once I got to what sounded best, I mowed a couple of rounds with the points cover off and since it seemed better just put it back on.

Rest of the mowing it did much better than it had, more power AND seemed to use less fuel than before.

Does this make sense? Is there a downside to tuning this way?

Is there a trick for getting the feeler guage around the grille frame, carb muffler, etc

I don't see a downside to it... it's kinda like adjusting the dwell, rather than adjusting the gap on the points. IMO, it's just a different way to skin that cat...

...Purchase one of the little Feeler Gauge Sets,

they're about 1 1/2" long and narrower, and fit

in tight places much easier....

Not sure which model you have but on my B210 I took 5 mins to remove 6 screws from the grill sides & the grill mesh for open access from the front...it helps if needed sm01

Thanks for all the advice. I bought some angled feeler gauges for next time.

After mowing with it twice it seems much better at this point, more power and seemingly better fuel comnsumption, but just to help my theoretical understanding: Point set tight (opening later) would tend to retard timing and loose would advance it, right?

Better yet, illuminate the points & go with the ELECTRONIC TRANSISTORIZED IGNITION MODULE NOVA II. never adjust points again.

I use an inline spark tester. Once I get a spark I start and run it, adjust the points to make the light the brightest. I've tried feeler gauges, just doesn't work for me.