Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

48" Deck update

Recommended Posts

OrangeMetalGuy

Got the center arbor shaft out and I have all the new parts to go back in except the two small washers for the top of the bearing, and the flinger. Originals are missing.

Swapped bearings in one side arbor, that one was easy. Other side, I cannot get the shaft out (pulley off). Puller did nothing except start to deform the pulley. I will try repeated hits with Blaster for several days.

Also took the roller assembly apart. Nice and straight and no flat bottom. Will use new boat trailer rollers. Unfortunately one of the rollers' steel sleeves is stuck to the bar, so it's Blaster on that too.

Did get the bottom refinished with POR-15 silver, looks good.

Question, does washing these decks down with water lead to bearing failure from water getting inside the bearings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hamman01

I just pulled the qulills from my Homelite 48" deck also. I had my BIL press the shafts out. All three of them and the three from a parts deck came off hard. As he pressed them off the pulley woud get stuck on the half moon key. I ruined 1 pulley and damaged another one. If you have someone press them out have them press from the bottom of the quill not the pulley. We got them off that way easier. I never thought that washing the deck had anything to do with the bearing wearing out. My deck is 41 yrs old and all the bearings were original. WHen I bought the new bearings the mechanic I got them from told me to gently pry the cover off the one side of the bearing with a razor blade and pack the bearings full of grease. Then pop the seal back in. I haven't done this yet because i haven't started putting the deck back together yet. The underside was in great shape, but the top was rusted. Lots of metal still but needs to be sand blasted and repainted. Roger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OrangeMetalGuy

Well, it's PB Blaster 1, Stuck metal 1. Got the metal sleeve off the roller bar; got the bar hangers painted and am ready to order new rollers.

Still cannot get the pulley off of the last arbor shaft. Finally broke out the BFH and pounded it as far as I could get it, which means it's now flush with the top of the pulley. Tried the puller again, no luck still.

So now I have the puller still on it, under tension, and a pool of PB sitting on the top hoping it will make its way down inside and loosen it up. But not counting on it. If that doesn't work I guess it's a sawzall to the pulley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hamman01

The SEguy I bought my bearings, etc. from said that the pulleys always get caught on the keys and make it hard to get them out. He said to press tehm out also. Good luck hope it comes ot ok for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OrangeMetalGuy

I guess I could try drilling the key through the slot in the pulley, but I would think the keys are pretty hard and thus tough to drill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OrangeMetalGuy

I guess I could try drilling the key through the slot in the pulley, but I would think the keys are pretty hard and thus tough to drill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • serfgirl59
    • Paul M.Murphy
  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

    • Bubba1997

      Bubba1997

      Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁
       

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts

×