Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

48" Deck update

OrangeMetalGuy

Got the center arbor shaft out and I have all the new parts to go back in except the two small washers for the top of the bearing, and the flinger. Originals are missing.

Swapped bearings in one side arbor, that one was easy. Other side, I cannot get the shaft out (pulley off). Puller did nothing except start to deform the pulley. I will try repeated hits with Blaster for several days.

Also took the roller assembly apart. Nice and straight and no flat bottom. Will use new boat trailer rollers. Unfortunately one of the rollers' steel sleeves is stuck to the bar, so it's Blaster on that too.

Did get the bottom refinished with POR-15 silver, looks good.

Question, does washing these decks down with water lead to bearing failure from water getting inside the bearings?

hamman01

I just pulled the qulills from my Homelite 48" deck also. I had my BIL press the shafts out. All three of them and the three from a parts deck came off hard. As he pressed them off the pulley woud get stuck on the half moon key. I ruined 1 pulley and damaged another one. If you have someone press them out have them press from the bottom of the quill not the pulley. We got them off that way easier. I never thought that washing the deck had anything to do with the bearing wearing out. My deck is 41 yrs old and all the bearings were original. WHen I bought the new bearings the mechanic I got them from told me to gently pry the cover off the one side of the bearing with a razor blade and pack the bearings full of grease. Then pop the seal back in. I haven't done this yet because i haven't started putting the deck back together yet. The underside was in great shape, but the top was rusted. Lots of metal still but needs to be sand blasted and repainted. Roger.

OrangeMetalGuy

Well, it's PB Blaster 1, Stuck metal 1. Got the metal sleeve off the roller bar; got the bar hangers painted and am ready to order new rollers.

Still cannot get the pulley off of the last arbor shaft. Finally broke out the BFH and pounded it as far as I could get it, which means it's now flush with the top of the pulley. Tried the puller again, no luck still.

So now I have the puller still on it, under tension, and a pool of PB sitting on the top hoping it will make its way down inside and loosen it up. But not counting on it. If that doesn't work I guess it's a sawzall to the pulley.

hamman01

The SEguy I bought my bearings, etc. from said that the pulleys always get caught on the keys and make it hard to get them out. He said to press tehm out also. Good luck hope it comes ot ok for you.

OrangeMetalGuy

I guess I could try drilling the key through the slot in the pulley, but I would think the keys are pretty hard and thus tough to drill.

OrangeMetalGuy

I guess I could try drilling the key through the slot in the pulley, but I would think the keys are pretty hard and thus tough to drill.