Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got Kohler?

Brettw

Well, I don't. But will need one to look to get this 710 back up and running. It's been so well taken care of, I think it needs a restore. Came with: 42" deck in good shape, rebuilt bearings, gators. 36" blower, good shape. 42" blade and bracket basically NOS, all the "need to have" parts to put an engine in when I find one, a pile-o-belts, and a few spare goodies (new starter!), to boot. All in all, a very good day. ^

710 001.JPG

710 002.JPG

710 003.JPG

710 005.JPG

710 006.JPG

710 007.JPG

57e058249fd86_710001.JPG.0ccd53ae33afc362ec6d88a25d3052d3.JPG

57e05824b0881_710002.JPG.67efe8fc390562a9e18ceb8e755ae365.JPG

57e05824c0d3d_710003.JPG.78386f4bf3f7aa2757d5d46885684222.JPG

57e05824cd666_710005.JPG.c1d026897aad830ef7a6032414619a37.JPG

57e05824e403a_710006.JPG.69886f5519c67239e6a411d84fdbc5e8.JPG

57e05824eed7a_710007.JPG.9bccc642dc3a36548813727e63e8123d.JPG

Nice, clean machine and all the goodies too dOd Did it come with an engine to rebuild or none at all? They seem to loose alot of rods..?

quote:Bigger is always better.....id="quote">
id="quote">

or, in other words: "I've never heard anybody complain about having too much horse power".

You could find a nice kohler and set it up with all the goodies from midwest super cub like aluminum flywheel, carb, carb spacer, and have it running on alcohol!!! :D:D:D:D:D I think youd need a couple sets of tires on hand to swap for when you nascar them. Mow your lawn in a hurry too!:P

I would certainly go with a briggs. However if you want a kohler, I have a 14 hp I can harvest for you. Briggs parts are less expensive and much more available.

Why on earth does it need restoration? Aside from missing the engine it almost looks like it came right from the brochure. Even the wheels aren't rusted. I would stick with the original type 10hp Kohler. They are a great engine and as clean as that tractor is it should have an original type of engine in it. Actually you will have a much easier time getting parts for the K241 Kohler than the Cast Iron Briggs. Two sizes of the B&S pistons are now NLA and aftermarket parts are less commmon. Its fairly easy to get the common K-Series Kohler parts both OEM and Aftermarket.

That is a great looking machine and a close twin to the first tractor that I ever bought. I loved that little tractor and the 10hp Kohler was sooooo smooth! I eventually restored it and put a 16hp Briggs into it.....which was a great injustice to the sweet running little Kohler and the tractor lost much of its appeal to the point that I sold it just a year or two after the restore. I always missed the tractor and did eventually find another in fair to rough condition which is still in my barn unrestored today. One day it will get the attention it deserves and the little Kohler will stay in place.

The only difference I see is that mine had the narrow 4.80 x 8 front wheels and tires.

Dan

I would certainly go with a briggs. However if you want a kohler, I have a 14 hp I can harvest for you.
id="quote">

Well, I have thought about this and I do want to stick with a Kohler. For originality, and to avoid the muffler/driveshaft/wiring issues that might accompany a swap to a Briggs. On top of all of that, there are multiple new or rebuilt parts for the Kohler that came with the tractor. It also has a front PTO clutch and setup, complete, that would not fit properly on a Briggs. So I may have to contact Stan about the K321!

Why on earth does it need restoration? Aside from missing the engine it almost looks like it came right from the brochure. Even the wheels aren't rusted.
id="quote">

I agree that it won't need much to restore it. A little history: The engine went out about 4 years ago. The PO bought a well used Simplicity 3400 series to mow with in the mean time, until he got around to fixing this one. He was the original owner of this AC(said he paid about $1700 for the tractor in 1978) and intended to repair it. He mentioned that the tires from the Simplicity were wider, so he swapped them out when he got rid of the Simplicity.

This one won't need a bunch of cleaning, or extensive paint work. I will look into some new decals, and look for some brochures of the original for any details. A gentleman named Grant, who had called me about a mower deck, gave me a heads up on an AC with a K301. I might look into that too, but then you end up with another tractor; and you start thinking "maybe this one could be fixed up" and I'd be right back where I started!

The 10 HP Kohler and 16 HP Briggs should have 1" shafts and mounting parts are the same. By looks of muffler, all you'll need is inlet elbow. Least of the ptoblem is electrical. A Bosch relay would be all you need plus three wires I am guessing.

Don't forget that some of the 10hp Kohlers were K301 engines with a shorter throw crankshaft (maybe out of a K241?). I have one in my 710. And I agree with Dan, it runs very smooth, with almost no vibration, not like the K12, 16, and 18hp that I have.

So when you see a K engine that looks like the size of a 12/14/16hp check it out, it may be a 10hp.

If Tom could see his old 710 now and the discussion that has ensued. I'm sure he would love to see the old girl back up and running.

Well done Brett.

I know where there's a guy somewhere out by you that shoehorned a 31hp Vanguard........:D:Dsm00sm00

16hp would be plenty.

:D Tractor's an AC not a Simplicity. Came from Factory with 10HP Kohler. Too pretty to mess with. Put a Kohler back in and be happy with a very nice tractor. My 2 cents worth...Dave

quote:I know where there's a guy somewhere out by you that shoehorned a 31hp Vanguard........id="quote">
id="quote">

That wouldn't be the same guy that has a Sunrunner on 'rhoids, that can now double as a combine is it? :D

quote:Originally posted by timflury

I know where there's a guy somewhere out by you that shoehorned a 31hp Vanguard........:D:Dsm00sm0016hp would be plenty.

id="quote">
id="quote">"16hp would be plenty", but a 42" blower doesn`t bog a 20hp down:D.

• 2 weeks later...