Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Where to start diagnosing?

meck

AC B10 is running good when I shut it down. Restart. It idles perfectly and slightly above idle. But give it any gas at all above that, and it stumbles and dies.

Does anybody have any hints on where to start in figuring this one out? If so, I would appreciate hearing them. All I've done to this point is check that the fuel line and filter are delivering gas as they should.

i would start by replacing spark plug then checking for good spark and checking air filter. then check carb. i wouldnt think a compression issue because it idles good.

Open main jet 1/4 turn and see if that helps. If it is better, open it some more. Keep doing this till it responds like it should. After this you will need to go back and readjust the idle jet.

The tractor can idle good with the main nearly closed, since the idle circuit is a separate adjustment from the main jet. You may have picked up a piece of trash in the main circuit. Most times opening the jet need up some will allow the trash to go on through, then you can go back to the original settings.

Thanks for your quick replies. The spark is good, plug is good, and points are gapped okay. I was getting ready to open up the main jet when the starter/gen. belt broke. Good timing, huh? I'll try again tomorrow after replacing the belt.

Before you open the main jet, carefully (gently) turn it all the in counting the turns. If there is a bit of dirt in the jet, that may get rid of it. Then reopen the same number of turns plus maybe another 1/4 turn.