Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ark loader

cncman08

I have an ark loader on my 720. With the pump running the bucket will start to dump with no load in it. It does it very slightly over say 20-30 min. If I forget to tip it back up I end up loosing my chain and clevis or what ever tools I am carrying for the days projects. What would cause this and how do I trouble shoot it and fix it?

Probably a checkvalve somewhere. Welcome to the club! Post some pix of your tractor and loader, and I'm sure someone will know the answer to your questions.

Chris,

Most probable cause is that one or both of the tilt cylinders have a bad internal o-ring, allowing hydro fluid to leak past the piston. The fact that the pump is running or not is not a factor and no fluid is being lost since it is an internal leak.

The spool valve would be in a hold position, all the pump output is being bypassed at the spool valve back to the reservoir.

To test my theory, shut the machine off and see if the bucket doesn't tip down at the same rate as with it running.

BTW, those o-rings are not hard to replace.

John U

If you look at the rod end of the cylinder, there is a snap ring. You also have to remove the hydraulic fitting from that end of the cylinder. Once those two parts are removed, the whole shebang will slide out.

John U

If you don't have a repair manual, you can get a pretty good idea of what's involved by looking at the parts diagram. I was able to replace the o-rings by doing so, without having to remove the cylinders.