Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016h power loss

simplewrench

I am having an issue with my 7016h. Everything seems to be fine when I start out but as everything gets warmed up the travel speed starts to vary. I changed the filter but since the fluid didn't seem burnt or discolored I chose to leave it. A local dealer suggested a hose clamp on the control shaft but that had been done also I checked the nut on the control arm as he suggested. Is it time to rebuild the hydro or is there something else I should do first? Thanks.

Thanks Ray that was a good suggestion that I didn't think of. I did have that happen on my 6 speed 7016 so I should of thought of that. I finally did get a chance to check on that and all the bolts are tight, so I am still baffled. It does seem to only happen after it's good and warmed up.

Seems like both. I think I have it about right then it will take off down a slight slope then slow down when I turn or put any resistance to it.

On the lever or control arm where the nut goes. That shaft has a double D shape that mates into reference no. 5. They call it a link in the parts manual.

I have seen in the past where these D shapes wear. Usually because in the past the nut came loose. Maybe the case with yours and previous owner tightened the nut back up. I had to change the handle and link on my Sovereign 18 because of this. I could tell or feel by the slop in the handle, but I don`t believe the speed varied on its own. Just play in the lever. Does the lever move easy or is there enough resistance that it doesn`t move without help. What is the condition of the bushings in the frame that the lever goes through? Any play in them?

The Sundstrand pump are pretty much bullet proof compared to a Vickers. Vickers are nice but most any of them I have seen leak.

There should be a spring that takes up the slack in the piece that slides in the slot on the tranny. It pulls the assembly against the left side of the slot.

If that is gone, it can vibrate around and move at the tranny. Mine was missing, so I put my own spring on it.

My son complained about sluggish operation on his 917 and told him to tighten up link on control arm. Has a jack rabitt now.:D

Had a chance check the control arm today. The D shape is good in condition and it was all tight. Upon closer inspection of the red rubber roller cam on the control does have a little slop. I'm going to replace that and see what happens. Thanks to all who responded, this is a truly awesome group.

Well today I was about to borrow a good cam roller off of a spare rear end. it did help with responsiveness but it did not help with my ground speed fluctuation. I'm at a loss. my next thought is to pull the hydro off my spare rear end and try that.

Thanks BLT, is that the drive gear assembly for the hydrostat? Just making sure I'm looking at the same thing.

quote:Originally posted by simplewrench

Thanks BLT, is that the drive gear assembly for the hydrostat? Just making sure I'm looking at the same thing.

id="quote">
id="quote">No, those four items, keep the the lever tight to the control arm shaft of item 1, if not hydro operation is real slopply.

Okay, Thanks I was looking at the wrong page. Yep that was all tight and I took it apart to check the wear on the handle shaft and control arm everything checked out there.