Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B10 gave up the ghost - 23D

MittenB10

All I can say is "well... this sucks." I knew this day would come... but didn't expect it so soon. My 23D in the B10 decided to come loose last Friday when I was about 97% done mowing. I knew immediately it was an internal issue. Hoped for the best but planned for the worst. Mower under load, approx. WOT.Visual inspection last night (with pics) show the rod broke but didn't appear to have hurt the bottom of the cylinder or the block. I'll know more when I do a tear down. I currently have too much going on with a garage build, etc. that I think the B10 will be mothballed for a short period of time. Perhaps that restoration is sooner than I expected.I'll be looking for advice on the rebuild in the near future. This forum has been a huge wealth of knowledge and inspiration to keep the B10 going!

IMG_20130527_211850_211.jpg

IMG_20130527_211604_737.jpg

IMG_20130527_211850_211.jpg.f58222c2ea3026df44ab44b3b1a94b56.jpg

IMG_20130527_211604_737.jpg.659dca2377b8061affa4d41e1a3817c4.jpg

quote:Originally posted by PGL

Hope the internal damage is minimal and you'll have it back running soon, with a new garage to keep it in.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thank you! Excited for the new garage and honestly the restoration too. I put everything back together "as-is" for now so I know where all the pieces are! haha.

wonderful experience when they are running right and a nightmare when they break. I run the snot out of mine but would probably go ballistic if and when it breaks. I have heard of very few of the old Briggs blowing up, they usually just start blowing smoke.

Sorry for your troubles.

Had a governor give up on a 23 years ago, the bits and pieces of it subsequently took out the rod, piston and block. Saved the pan, crank, carb head and tin! The rest is probably part of a new Honda!

Hope yours isn't that bad.:D

I'm with you Pungo!

ReedS - just from visual inspection it looks to be "ok". Buttoned it back up though, shot some PB Blaster down the top of the cylinder just to keep things free until I can get to it. Hope it wasn't a cause of scorched piston that stuck then broke the rod. Wouldn't think so... but then again, you never know.

Now it's off to negotiate a deal on a new/used mower. Darn grass doesn't hold off for long.

I hate when that happens.

It happened to me last year with my 7114. I'm putting a K341 into it know. Hope to have it done soon. Meanwhile I'll be mowing with the

B-1. Haven't put the deck on the 712 yet. LOL Bob