Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DMKNLD

voltmeter static timing question

DMKNLD

Still trying to get my 7114 running right, so while I'm waiting on an on-line order for a new carb throttle shaft I reset the timing, after replacing the points and condenser. I got the points adjusted with my voltmeter to open at the "S" mark on the flywheel, but when I rotate the engine by hand the points also open at another point on the flywheel, then when I keep rotating the engine the points break again at the "S" mark. I believe the point gap is supposed to be about .020 at it's widest, but mine is more open than that. Am I missing something or is something possibly frigged up w/ my cam, or maybe the points plunger shaft is worn beyond specs ?

JimDk

Your ignition is firing harmlessly on the exhaust stroke. Some engines are designed that way. I'm not sure why. Old Harleys come to mind. Your method should get you close.

powerking_one

Dennis,

Since you mention the "S" mark on the flywheel, I assume this is Kohler K-321 engine. There should only be ONE points lobe relief ground into the cam and hence the points should only open/close once per 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation. So yes one might suspect a camshaft problem and/or it has a machining defect thereof.

Tom (PK)

DMKNLD

Tom,

You are correct - it did have a cam problem. The flared pin that holds the cam into the block had worn enough to randomly alter the timing. After fabricating a pin to hold it in place, it starts and runs OK until a BGB load is put on, then it surges and sputters until I idle it for a few minutes, when it runs OK again until it gets a load put on it again. I'm wondering if the random timing cooked the condenser, which I replaced prior, along w/ the coil.