Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler from Cub fit an AC?

Brettw

Does anyone know if a K301 from a Cub Cadet will fit in a large frame Simplicity / Allis re: pan and crankshaft?

Not easily. The Allis pan will not attach to the cub block. Avoid the Cub and Deere engines. Some of the Wheel Horse engines were similar if they are the mid 70's or newer. The earlier ones were setup for starter generators and were totally different.

If you want to use one of the older Cub engines you can do it by making your own set of engine mounts, since the Cub mounts are at the top of the oil pan rather than on the bottom. You will also need to fabricate a driveshaft mount since the Cub uses a four bolt pattern on the flywheel with smaller bolts on a smaller circle.I mounted a 12 Hp K301 from a Cub in my 61 Wards(Simp 700) for a while, so I know exactly what needs to be done. I made both engine mounts and driveshaft mount. Neither was difficult.If you want to do this, get back with me and I will help you through it.Here is a picture of my tractor with the K301 from the Cub in it:

61Wards.jpg

61Wards.jpg.32b017f95d8be420c69255e0960fe89f.jpg

Thanks for the offer, Rod. I believe I am onto a K301 out of a Sim 7012, so I will not need to modify a Cub engine. I appreciate the offer, but am going to stick to as original of a setup as I can.

If my memory serves me correct I think there are only few difference in the bolt pattern on a Kohler oil pan (Old style and new style). That and where the oil drain plug is located.

So it is very possible if you have a oil pan of a bad motor in the tractor your working on it is possible to just change the oil pan to the cub Kohler motor.

If you don't have a motor pan now to us, there are oil pans on ebay all the time. I picked up a nice low hours 16hp Briggs out of a Gilson tractor for little to nothing because Gilson uses a oil pan that is part of the front axle. I had a spare oil pan that bolted right on. Best $40 motor I ever seen.

I had a Simplicity pan and it would not just bolt on to a Cub Cadet engine.

On the Cub engine the bolt holes are drilled into the bottom of the casting and threaded. The bolts go upward through the casting into the block.

On the Simplicity engine there are flanges cast into the bottom of the block and the bolts go downward into threaded holes in the oil pan. The oil pans for the two types of engines will not interchange.

I have also heard that the oil slingers on the connecting rods are different lengths, and if you have the wrong rod for the oil pan, it can break the slinger off and the engine will be ruined from lack of oil.

The way I did it works, just make some engine mounts and leave the oil pan alone.

I actually obtained a K301 from a 7012. It's a basket engine, but everything is there, and, I have carb, starter, exhaust, driveshaft coupler, etc., so I should be able to put everything together.

As an aside the PO (who lives right up the street) stopped by today and dropped off the original owner's manual. service manual for the Kohler, other paperwork and manuals. So now I can start the restoration. Too much other stuff right now, so it's going to take some time, but I think I have everything I need to put 'er back together.

Brett, glad you got one that was originally from a Simplicity. That way you don't need the other modifications. Good luck with it.

Yup. We'll get 'er miced up for the rebuild, standard or 10 over. Thanks for the help and offers, Rod.