Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Brinly plow gauge wheel.

timflury

There's a guy on Ebay fabbing up gauge wheels for the 10" Brinly plow. "olcowhand" I believe is his username.

Just wondering your thoughts on a gauge wheel in general.

As long as you have float lift it be great, the plow would plow an even depth even when the fron end went up or down.

I can't imagine needing a guage wheel on a 10" single point plow. A properly adjusted plow will dive and maintain the appropriate depth. Tim, have you had issues with the plow running inconsistently, or burying itself? From watching youtube vids, it seems most folks fight to have them bite in...get a kick out of watching people plow with another guy standing on it.

I'm tossing around the idea.

During plow days is when I have issues, mostly when I'm behind a rookie. If he's shallow, I'm shallow, and vice versa. I try to adjust my plow very little, while the "rookies" overcompensate.

"First furrow" is also challenging, running a straight line and hoping the plow digs in at the same time.

Soil types can differ with moisture content and composition from one end of the field to the other, 'specially when we're on a slope. I figure a gauge wheel would reduce errors. And it seems later in the day, things get easier.dOd

I've seen guys with weights and trying alternative ways of trying to get their plows deeper into the soil.:D:Dsm00

Wouldn't a gauge wheel only prevent the plow from going too deep?

How would it help pull the plow down to the appropriate depth?

Thats what I was thinkin too. I just need a plow day I suppose, to experience varying furrows etc. Ive had trouble running the furrow in different soils, but never where I couldnt adjust and get it right. Sod is the worst.

Yes Kent.

You would be able to nose the plow downward and run it on the wheel, as opposed to letting the plow "glide" through the soil. Ground speed would be less of a factor in keeping the plow sub-grade.

Sod IS the toughest by far. If it's hard enough, the coulter will not slit the sod.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

I believe "Olcowhand" used to post on this site. He had a 400 series?

id="quote">
id="quote">I searched his profile and he last posted in 2008.

My experience at plow days is that it is hard to plow a consistent depth because of everyone else. So, yes if the guy in front is deeper or shallower it will change your tractor angle in the furrow and then change your plow. And because these little plows are so light weight, it is hard to keep them plowing same depth consistently without adding weight.

Best plowing is in your own furrows to get consistent depth. Not going to happen at a plow day.

But all that said , it's still good fun.