Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

93 Sovereign (Kohler 18) just shuts off

dlkelley713

Hey Folks,

My late Sovy w/ Kohler Command 18 runs great, but it started suddenly shutting off without warning. Immediately restarts and runs great until the next time, which may be 20 seconds or 20 minutes. Seems to be electrical... no coughing or slowing before shutting off... like I turned the key off. My first thought was one of the safety switches (seat and engagement lever for cone clutch), but they seem to be behaving properly. Maybe something in the ignition system?? My starter doesn't always engage the first turn of the key (just clicks and buzzes), so either the starter or solenoid is tired, but I'm not sure if that could affect a running motor. Has anyone experienced this before? It can be pretty aggravating!

Thanks,

Dan

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

Does the Command have a solenoid on the carburetor? Could be a loose or bad wire to that?

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes it does, Brett. Thanks, I'll check that connection.Dan

I'd think that the magneto grounding wire would be more likely. The solenoid would make it sputter to a halt (running lean) once the bowl runs dry. At least that's been my experience.

My Command won`t start if the fuel shut off solenoid wire is disconnect. It needs energized to stay running or it closes.

My Kohler CH 25 did this for quite a while. Eventually I replaced the fuel pump (must be purchased with the left valve cover-$80) after it filled the crankcase with a gas/oil mix. Still have the occasional starting problem like yours. I remove the wire to the solenoid, clean and replace. That works for awhile.

Good luck!

Dave