Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

allis 314 ignition coil

mhorn78

I recently inherited a nice looking allis 314 garden tractor.this cm to m with no ignition coil and i'm having a really hard time coming across one.i was told today by a local repair shop that this engine is different than most kohlers and good luck finding a coil.any help finding one would be greatly appreciated

Hello, I have had this issue before when I first got my 310 AC. is your 314 the style with the trigger module under the flywheel housing? Meaning you won't have breaker points in the normal location on the engine.(below carb and left)

If so, it is possible to convert it to breaker points and run a normal ignition coil.

sorry computer keys acting up.came to me without a coil.i was told that I could convert to breaker points but wasn't sure what I want to do yet.this is to nice to scrap but simplicity dealer told me these aren't really worth much

Mike,

Is this a K-321 Kohler with the solid state ignition system (trigger coil w/2 wires and the secondary coil mounted above the starter? If so, then yes Graham is correct in that they can be converted over to breaker points ignition pretty easily. Even back in the '70's working at a Gravely dealership, this was common for us to perform (cost savings to the customer) since even then, either the trigger or coil module price was outrageous; not to mention now they are probably NLA. The block should have a small Welch plug where the points plunger goes that you extract and the 2 tapped holes for the points cover. Kohler never made a "conversion kit" of the parts needed; we just added up the 6 or so PN's individually to do the conversion.

Tom(PK)

kit from jacks... everything you need for conversion

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Products/KOHLER/Ignition-Part/Ignition-Kits/237750S/749537/s

the original trigger module and the original coil can bring $200 EACH

so for $150 (I think you could do it for less finding the parts on your own...) the conversion isn't necessarily a bad way to go but of course with the original electronic ignition you won't have to monkey with points timing.

Incidentally, the coil used for conversion is an automotive coil with an internal ballast resistor... you can get one at any auto parts place but you would want one with the internal resistor.

I should mention... if you want to go with the original system...

you state your coil is missing... is the wiring still there...

if not you will want a resistor in the wiring... it is not at all clear from the AC service or parts manual which resistor you need (or even that it is there) You will want to go to the Kohler website and get the manual from there...

thanks for all the help.this is a k321 and the local mower shop has the conversion kit in stock.hoping to get this running this weekend

Chris,

I guess times have changed (good find/research for the conversion kit PN). Like most Kohler OEM parts prices these days, I do not see $150 of value in that kit; more like $50 (IMHO). The coils (with internal ballest resistor) go for about $25; points $12..... There's also lots of misc used Kohler parts out there on ePay where one might find a package "deal" to do the conversion.

Tom (PK)

it great to have a forum like this with such knowledgeable people and a great mower shop Richardson repair in Elkhart,il to help with my questions.thanks and hoping to get this running soon

• 2 weeks later...

jj those are the coils I am looking for.i have the parts now to do the conversion but hadn't the time to pull the motor to work on it.i finally found a coil like this on ebay for $149 and the part number is 236826.i have a local allis guy still looking to see if he has one other than that if I want to keep with this coil i'll b spending some money

oh yeah, if you stick with the original system you'll never have to monkey with points... timing... OR regular maintenance... :)

an ignition system ahead of its time... !!!

This thread is awesome. Perfect timing because my k321 has the same problem right at the moment. So my economy power king is inop. Time to decide what to do...

Sell me the power king and rid yourself of those nasty decisions once and for all!

I have a soft spot for Economy tractors.:)

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Sell me the power king and rid yourself of those nasty decisions once and for all!I have a soft spot for Economy tractors.:)

id="quote">
id="quote">Haha no no no. That baby I usually set up with a 60" snow plow for the winter. It is unstoppable.