Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belts broke again simplicity 4041

ka9bxg

Put 2 new belts on the 4041 every thing looked good pulleys line up nice groves are smooth. Less than 2 hours on it and both belts are bad again. They did not break but they were rolled and stretched.When thy were put on the belts were quite tight.Checked every thing again and still looks good. Has any body had this problem and what did you find .Thanks for any help Bob

If the pulleys have bearing in them and they are going bad they will put an extra strain on the belts above and beyond the work you are asking of them. Spin the pulleys and listen to them and feel if they are rough feeling and or if they sound dry. Bad bearings can cause a lot of heat and that can soften your belt and make it easy for them to stretch. Given that the alignment is right the next thing to check is the bearings. Someone will come along that has more experience with these tractors and give you some more help.

Dan

Rolled and stretched sounds a lot like bearings as mentioned. I have also found to extend the life of drive belts on a the powermax series is to NOT us the clutch but to start the motor, emergency stops or changing gears. If you us the clutch like a gear transmission you are going to over heat those belts real fast. If you come up to something in the yard and put the clutch down and then release the clutch (while the hydro lever is still at it's original speed setting). When you let out the clutch even as slow as possible there is a tremendous load on these belts.

It is best to control all forward and revers speed with the hydro lever, as well as come to a stop using the hydro. The less you use the clutch the better.

It is simple to learn but easy to forget the 3 speed gear box is not what the clutch is releasing like a normal tractor. Also on todays newer hydro tractors when you press the clutch down it automatically pulls the hydro lever to neutral. The 4041 will not do this.

We do not use the clutch at all except in the winter for hard start.This problem started just last week (have been using this tractor for 2 years) There are no idler pulleys in this system so that can not be a problem. I have checked the bearings as much as possible they feel good and smooth running. I plan to put on a couple of new belts and see what happens I have moved the mower to another tractor for now but need to find out what is going on here.

The bearings are in the pivot that is attached to the driveshaft going back to the hydro unit.It is common for them to go bad.Bearings are item 23

pivot2.jpg

john U

pivot2.jpg.9b05f18b2b865ff0a213c237e4a42a22.jpg

Well I found the problem . There were a few of them.One was I put in to short of belts second is there is a stop rod on the bracket I put it on the wrong side of the belts.While I was in there I changed the bearings also. It is a lot quieter now found out that they are the same bearings as lawn mower bearings.It works now. Bob