Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OrangeMetalGuy

New arbor shaft won't fit inside new bearing?

Recommended Posts

OrangeMetalGuy

So I started to assemble the center arbor in my in-restoration 48" deck.

Seated the bottom (new, genuine Simplicity) bearing, no problem. Greased up the (also new, genuine Simplicity) arbor shaft and started to slide it in. Got stuck. Tapped, ended up going with the BFH. Stuck. Finally had to pound it back out from the top, bringing the bearing with it.

Long story short, I ended up having to cut the bearing apart and use a grinder to take the inner race off the shaft.

So what is up with this? This is something I would expect if I had bought cheapo Chinese parts - but not the genuine article.

Do I need to somehow sand and polish the shaft so it's thinner? If so why do they paint it?

It got stuck right between the cuts for the two keys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hamman01

I had the same problem on my Homelite 48" deck. i always oreassemble mine before I final assemble it. I had to file around the shaft due to some burring on it in the area of the keys. Once i got it deburred I test fitted everything again before I reassembled it for good. Always put a little grease on the shaft before sliding the bearings on, it just makes it easier. Good luck. Roger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OrangeMetalGuy

Got the center one done. Wasn't sure I was going to get the pulleys over those keys but got 'er done.

Now just need to order the parts for the last one and get it done. I am also replacing the tensioner pulley.

Good idea to preassemble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanD

I just bought a new left hand spindle for a Sovereign and before I could assemble the steering arm to it or install the wheel bearings, I had to take a file and file off the "paint" that was on it. I call it paint, but it's more like a black coating these parts come covered in. I'm sure it protects them well, but makes them a pain to assemble! Were your parts covered with the same stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rfsmith1952

The black stuff might be cosmoline. It was used in the old days to protect metal from rusting over the long term. Gasoline or brake cleaner will thin it out and it will come right off. No Smoking!:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OrangeMetalGuy

Mine was definitely paint. Cleaned it off and polished the shaft, ok. Glad that one is done. For future decks, I may just buy complete arbor assemblies if they are available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • Orangeman
    • maxwood
    • PhanDad
    • Brettw
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. pitt
      pitt
      (53 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

    • Bubba1997

      Bubba1997

      Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁
       

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts

×