Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bowhunt4life

Weed Cutter Prepped for Paint

bowhunt4life

Well I got Weed Cutter No. 1 disassembled. I have the arbors at a friends who is putting new bearings and washers in for me as I don't have the patience, time or the torch for the job.

This unit will be blasted, straightened, primed and then painted in AC Old Cat Yellow. The arbors will be black and the belt cover will be black (if anyone has a spare I could use it for Weed Cutter No. 2 and EZ Rake).

Here is Pic No. 1 and more to follow after it gets back.

2013-06-02203058_zps1a80d434.jpg

Bolts will be replaced with stainless bolts, washers and nuts. Hardware store here I come tomorrow.

bowhunt4life

Having spent almost an hour going thru the manual I have carefully labeled and put a list in each back with the part letter, part type and quantity. Look out hardware store here I come.

2013-06-02214847_zps37b4577e.jpg

GrincheyOne

Chris,

I went to the hardware store with an organized list per the IPL. Of course I picked the 20% off "pink Bucket" day (anything that fit in the bucket was 20% off) The bucket was a $5 donation to the cancer fund. Even squeezed a MAPP torch kit into the bucket!!!:D

Wayne

bowhunt4life

I saw that buy you made. I ended up getting most of what I needed in Stainless at the hardware store for $30 and then had to order a few things online.

Now I just wait for the call from the painter. He is using an industrial HD paint that, old cat yellow, that will hold up better than enamel.

I am painting the belt cover black and the arbors black. So I'll be posting pics when the parts are back.

Chris

GrincheyOne

Chris FYI.I noticed, that there was no shaft hole in the belt cover in your pics. MyCover has a 1-7/8" hole, in the indicated area, presumably to satisfy the FEDs about exposed blades. The hole is located (on center) 5-9/16" from the left edge, and 3-9/16" from top rear bend. Thus when the idler is released (cutter "off") you can see if the shaft is moving, without leaving the seat of the tractor. half of my LH arbor shaft end was painted white for better visibility.

Cutter belt cover.jpg

Cheers,Wayne

57e05e5c76f22_Cutterbeltcover.jpg.70cae7ee3ceec9e998c8a2f1fec176b3.jpg

Talntedmrgreen

Sounds like an owner chop for safety. Never seen such a hole before in pics or in any of the units Ive had, and they didnt make them long, so I cant imagine there were versions.

bowhunt4life

I am going to leave the weedcutter as is, no custom chops by me. Only custom feature will be the gloss black belt cover with AC decal:D

Sign in to follow this