Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Jasonk

Simplicity 4040 Onan Replacement Project

Jasonk

Hello all,

My first post here. I've been browsing, reading, and trying to learn. Thanks! And now I need some help...

I bought a Simplicity 4040 and after a lot of back and forth, bit the bullet and bought a Briggs Vanguard 23 HP replacement kit from SEW.

Removing the old Onan wasn't too bad. The toughest part was the front pto, needed a pry bar to coax it off. Now, I need to install on the Briggs.

The Onan had 5 threaded studs that match the PTO housing. As you can see in the picture, there are 4 threaded studs on the Briggs, that are no where near matching.

The only idea I had was either they sent me the wrong part... or notice the 4 small screws near the shaft on the briggs. If I break down the PTO housing there is that third section that has 4 rivits. Seems they might match up and that is the mount point for the PTO to the Engine?

Anyone do this before? I'm posting some pics of what I'm talking about. Also a shot of the "Instructions" that came with the engine... couldn't get SEW tech support on the phone...they have bankers hours over there. Any hints, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan123

I agree with John, being a member will pay you back a million fold in information alone. You will also find great people willing to help and in the classifieds you can sometimes find the rare parts you are looking for.

Dan

PGL

I had a Vanguard 23 put in my AC 620 (same machine). I works well. It is a our vacation cabin, so I can't look at the electric clutch attachment until I return in a couple of weeks after a few family weddings etc. If you don't get the solution by then, I'll have a look.

PatterBrian

Send me a PM. I'll give you my email to send pictures by email. I'll compare your to mine. I can also tell you about a couple of the rough spots.

Jasonk

Thanks guys, didn't realize there was another level of membership :)I think I'm over that hurdle (for now)... After a lot of head scratching... the clutch breaks down into smaller pieces. The piece that is bolted to the engine is a "bearing plate"...looked up the part name by looking at parts on EBay. Anyway, there were 4 Hex head bolts attaching the clutch to that. Was able to separate from the bearing plate and then bolt that piece to the new engine adapter plate.

11image.jpg

10image.jpg

17image.jpg

11image.jpg.ce4181912e929b8158f79ec27e3ab45a.jpg

10image.jpg.ede6ea692a853b47ce1543b24b64f80d.jpg

17image.jpg.e29a22e71e708c692635a658061ff01f.jpg

Jasonk

Having all sorts of fun on the backside of the engine now. The flywheel side of the engine... doesn't have a threaded bolt in the center, like the Onan did. This is complicating getting the clutch pulley in and bolted up. The instructions I have said to install the clutch pulley backwards to give enough room for the battery. But... the "shroud or flywheel cover"...whatever the plastic covering on the drive end of the engine called didn't have enough clearance to fit the pulley like that. Ended up taking that cover off to test fit, but things don't seem to line up that way anyway. Currently trying to install the clutch pulley in the same orientation it was when I took it out. Still seems to be slightly out of alignment, fighting to get the belts back on to see how it looks then before I go back to square one.

8image.jpg

8image.jpg.6c7eb077544aece7f7707df49eeb1ce4.jpg

Jasonk

Can someone please take a look at the wiring of their Front PTO clutch and share that with me (or a pic). I should have taken more pics of the wiring before I took it off the Onan...but I can't seem to figure out the proper wiring to get it back on.The wiring diagram shows the orange wire from tractor to the PTO harness. But there is another wire coming from the PTO clutch. Can't seem to find a wiring diagram on that. On this setup, it is split out three ways. Here is a couple pictures. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

IMG_6173.JPG

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6173.JPG.7c17e74b343d30e5bb4be76156d6ecf0.JPG

IMG_6178.JPG.d9598e7f9499590be344c421a11c0e71.JPG

Jasonk

The only repower options I found anywhere were Briggs repower kits.

Jim's Repair had a 18 or 23 HP kit and Small Engine Warehouse had a 21 or 23.

Was pretty much a drop in replacment. I had to tangle with the clutch pully to get it attached to the drive line. I'm a newbie at this, so might have been my learning curve. But I also had to turn the pulley around to fit. From there I had to remove the flywheel shroud cover and to grind off the matching 4 screw holders for it...as they stuck out enough to catch on the belts. Real tight fit.

Also had to downsize to a lawn and garden battery, as there isn't room for the orig battery anymore. Might be fixable if I enlarge the engine mount holes and slide it 1/4 inch back.

But, it's back to together now and running strong. Got the mower deck hooked up, just have to get the pto wired up and I'll be good to go.

John_in_Oxford

In the picture with the wires laying across your left hand, I see a double barrel connector with an orange wire - that one should supply +12V from your PTO switch.

The second wire coming from the vicinity of the PTO clutch looks to be joined in common (daisy-chained) with the other green wires. Those would all be "Chassis" grounds.

There's no electronics or other weird stuff in PTO clutches - just supply 12V (and a ground), and the coil will energize.

BTW, your project is looking very good!