Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3410 No Spark

Tonyvdb

I need your help again. I have 2 problems first after rebuilding my 10 hp B&S I don't have any spark. I've changed the points and condenser, plug. I have enclosed a picture of how I connected the wiring. There is only one wire from the coil other than the plug wire, which I connected to the points wire. I think maybe the coil is bad as I checked the coil wire to ground and there is continuity. I didn't think there should be with the points disconnected. Any help is appreciated.

Second problem is the governor linkage. See the picture below, does that look right to you, I seem to have a spring left over. Anyone got a picture of their governor linkage? Again thanks for any help.

Coil wire connection

DSC03514_zpsa2fb1998.jpg

Governor linkage

DSC03515_zps92d492e1.jpg

Extra spring that I thought went to governor

DSC03516_zpsbf79025d.jpg

The other spring goes in the first hole closest to the governor shaft and hooks in with the other at the top.

It's not grounded where the wires connect, but the black wire coming out of the coil is grounded. If I put a ohm meter on the black wire at the coil and to ground there is continuity, meter reads 0. That is what makes me think the coil may be defective. Thinking of changing to battery ignition, what do you think?

Success we have spark, the coil was bad. A new one from Ebay and hopefully we are ready for start tomorrow.