Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mike_sdak

16 briggs vanguard - oil leak

mike_sdak

Hello.

I have a briggs vanguard 16 Hp horizontal shaft engine in a grasshopper 616. It has been leaking oil lately, at a pretty good rate (about 1 pt in 2-3 hours). The engine is pretty oily. I need to degrease it and see if I can find the source of he leak.

I am curious, with all the knowledge here - anyone familiar with these engines? Are there common locations for oil leaks on these?

mike_sdak

I pulled the engine in order to remove the shrouds. The flywheel side of the engine is caked with oil, both fresh and old oil. I suspect this seal is gone. I think I will replace seals on both ends for good measure.

I haven't been able to pull the flywheel yet, as I am lacking the briggs puller and the strap wrench.

I plan to pull the flywheel and replace the seal with the sheet metal screw trick I saw on this site. I am thinking of freezing the seal first, but don't know if that is a good idea or not.

Any thoughts appreciated, as I am in uncharted waters for me,

mike_sdak

Thanks baker. I am a little concerned about that, given that this engine has a bushing on the flywheel end of the crank. I'll proceed with caution,

mike_sdak

Well,

I replaced the seal. Since then, the engine appears to be using little or no oil in a few hours use. Whew.

For what it's worth, a piece of 1-1/4" PVC is the right diameter to push the seal into place.

ka9bxg

I have a vanguard in my sunrnner and had the same problem. It turned out to be the head gasket that was causing the problem .If it still leaks that might be your problem.