Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Vanguard not charging

Les

The 20 HP Vanguard in the Massey Conquest is not charging, have had 2 different batteries and 3 different voltage regulators on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Im in the same boat with my 20HP vanguard for my Landlord DLX had a guy check it 3 times now...says its prolly the pto clutch since everything else is working fine (Dang it!)

Peter, I have had luck in the past checking the PTO clutch by disconnecting the wire/s to it, and just jumping 12 volts to it. If it clicks in, the clutch should be OK. Then I would check connections, ground, etc. I don't know how the PTO clutch would affect charging though?

Like RayS said, you need to check the stator output. It should be greater than 28 VAC. If the clutch draws too much current it could prevent the battery from charging, however, drawing that much current usually causes the PTO switch to fail. On some models, I have had problems with the ignition switch no going to the off position, which results in the after-fire solenoid on the carb remaining on. If your mower starts, runs and works a PTO for an extended period, I would look beyond the charging system. If the charging system isn't working, the PTO would stop working and the mower might die after period of time. The battery doesn't hold enough of a charge to run the PTO for an extended period of time.

• 2 months later...

It is a bad PTO clutch, looks like that has been the root cause of my electrical and belt problems. I put the deck on my other Conquest and it works fine.

If anybody has one they want to sell please let me know.

Thanks for the help! appreciate it.

• 2 months later...

found out on mine that the stator was bad...the guy who worked on mine replaced the voltage reg first then the stator...well it still wasn't charging...bit the bullet and went to the simplicity dealer and told them what was going on. they said the voltage reg was bad and that if he replace the regulator before the stator then it just smoked the regulator. so they put a new regulator on and boom! Fixed

quote:Originally posted by peterinbrooklyn

found out on mine that the stator was bad...the guy who worked on mine replaced the voltage reg first then the stator...well it still wasn't charging...bit the bullet and went to the simplicity dealer and told them what was going on. they said the voltage reg was bad and that if he replace the regulator before the stator then it just smoked the regulator. so they put a new regulator on and boom! Fixed

id="quote">
id="quote">Been there done that!! Yes, they really do smoke!:(