Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homesteader

Running Issues

Homesteader

Well one thing leads to another and now I need help. My puller has been a slow project and I finally got back to it now that I graduated. Anyways, I knew the carb I had needed to be rebuilt, so I did that two days ago. Hooked everything up and set it to the factory settings to initially start it up and then tune. The problem is, it only runs on one cylinder. I believe it acted a little funny before, but now one cylinder will run good, but the other can go 15-20+ cycles before firing, then it does the same thing before firing again. Ive pulled the head to make sure all the valves are moving/seating and they are. I have spark too. The only thing that comes out of the cylinder is puffs of white smoke. What the heck is wrong?????yell8Cyell8Cyell

BLT

Check your point box for loose connections. Had a similar problem with 16HP Briggs, blamed it on carb, turns out loose condensor to point wire. Jiggling wire,

BLT

Aaron anything is possible, but my gut feeling is an electrical not mechanical. I could be wrong. (Been told that a few times too.:D) Could be a spark plug also. 75% of electrical problems are failed spark plugs. New out of the carton they can fail. They are an electrical part.

Homesteader

Thanks Bob. Forgot to mention I replaced the plugs twice now in an attempt to solve this. I had wires made at napa out of older spares for my truck. They cut and crimped the correct ends on them. Wondering if the one on funny cyl is maybe poorly crimped or just a bad wire. That's a possibility that I grabbed a bad wire from the pile.

Homesteader

I tried a different set of wires today... to no avail. Going to try nd find my in-line spark tester to double check spark from coil. I am at total loss so its back to double checking everything in case I missed something.XX(

Kenh

Are the wires long enough to swap from side to side? Swap them if you can and see if the problem switches sides. Two coils or the stock dual output coil? Also try a new condenser. Maybe double check compression on each cylinder to male sure it is sufficient.

Good luck track down this issue.

Ken

Homesteader

It is an aftermarket coil off a Harley. Ive tried multiple wires and swapped them around too. the problem stays in the same cylinder. Both cylinders have good compression and are within 2psi of each other.

Brettw

Based upon all of the information, Aaron, I would think, possibly a sticking valve. Final option, two spark testers, one on each cylinder. They aren't expensive, and it would help you to truly determine electrical issues.

Homesteader

Yeah I couldnt find my tester. So ill go to my neighborhood harbor freight and pick up two new ones. When I initially had the heads off to check everything before I test fired it way back when, I turned it over by hand and all the valves moved freely. Also, it builds and holds compression so I dont think anything is stuck open or closed.

Homesteader

So I think I've figured it out... Hopefully. I spent the majority of today in "doctor" mode trying to fix this thing. I ended up calling an onan guru who gave me a few helpful hints. Long story short, the cylinder in question is pretty scored to the point where I can watch it slough oil past the rings when I turn it over with the head removed. I believe this is leading to the fouling of the plug. Causing intermitent firing, but consistent firing at higher rpm. Now I have to decide whether or not to rebuild it now, or after I show it at the fair. I cannot drive it in to be judged so I am leaning towards waiting.