Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

briggs rebuild

baker

I'm new here and have started a restoration project on a 725 the engine in it dont look original the numbers on it are 200401-0010-01-6910231 does anyone know what they mean hp,year,and where i can find parts

The website for "Outdoor Distributors" has a very good chart for identifying Briggs Engine numbers. That will give you the info you need on your engine.

briggid.jpg

Below is a Google search for that motor. The numbers don`t look familiar to me.http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q=briggs+200401-0010&oq=briggs+200401-0010&gs_l=hp.12...5839.6196.1.7569.3.3.0.0.0.0.90.252.3.3.0...0.0...1c.1.15.psy-ab.nXhbAp8MH7o&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.dmg&fp=ca33fb1d859d4062&biw=1024&bih=651http://www.lodermeiers.net/pages/OemParts?aribrand=BRG#%2fBriggs_%26_Stratton%2f200401-0010-99%2fCarburetor_Assy%2cAir_Cleaner%2f200401001099%2f5562004A

briggid.jpg.846527412c54d5db68bb044708b75236.jpg

Actual horse power ratings vary a little based on carb and rpm, and application.

Anyway, a model 19 is 19 cubic inches and is rated at 7 and 7 1/4 hp.

A model 23 is 23 cubic inches and rated at 9 hp generally.

You have 20 cubic inches so I would guess it is rated between 7 1/2 and 8 hp probably

Thanks the local repair shop said that he didnt want to mess with it so I'm on my own so thanks for the info any ideas on were I can find the parts

Welcome to the site...your in good hands with these guys as your mentors. Best of luck on your project.

Mark

Welcome to the group. It has the best bunch of guys around for Simplicity tractor info, and just the best bunch of people, in general!

The best I can come up with is 200401 was rated at 8 hp at 36oo rpm. I get no results with the type number 0010-01. The code means it was made in 1969, on October 23, assembly / plant No. 1.

This is all from using the info from RayS, and his chart from above, the Briggs and Stratton web site, where you can type in model, type and code numbers, and a Google search for the same, and other resources I've used to identify the different Briggs motors I've come across, to find manuals.

I just noticed the bottom link on RayS post does show the parts for the 0010-01. On the top of the diagram, click on the drop down list to see all the parts of this motor.

Mike.

Thanks for all the info as soon as i can get some pics i will post them everyone has already been alot of help

quote:Originally posted by baker

Just wondering is there anywhere that sells reproduction parts for these tractors

id="quote">
id="quote">What parts? There are a couple guys here who make a few things, and a few others that sell used parts.You would have to be a little more specific, or better, put an ad in the classifieds for what you need.

For the most part my 725 is complete i am going to need some moon hub caps a handel grip for my lift lever and would like to mount head lights like on the landlord so a head light bracket or at least a good pic of one so i could make it

Hmmm, last I knew the hub caps could still be bought but were pricey, not sure on the handle grip.

As for the headlight bar, it is basically just a flat bar with a curve and a slight bend at each end, but the grills are a lot different from the landlord to yours so not sure it would even work.

Stock, the 725 would have had just 1 headlight in the hood, there should be a knockout for it I think.

Just about everything on these tractors is made of good enough metal to sand blast, or sand, and paint. Since you are a member, click on my name, and look at my picture gallery, and you'll see a restored 700. The steering wheel and handle grip I cleaned really good, and coated it with the same coating I had to use inside the gas tank. It dries bright white. The product is called Kreem Fuel Tank Liner. It goes on as a thick liquid, and dries like a rubber coating. It worked excellent relining and sealing my rusty gas tank, and it is holding up good as a coating on the steering wheel and handle bar grip. Except for a few new bolts and washers, everything else is stock parts, primed and painted. The seat has new upholstery, done by my son. There is a member on here, I think her name is Mary, that totally rebuilds and re-upholsters Simplicity and Allis seats, so you might want to search for her, and see if she can help you with an original seat, if she still is on here and does the work. The "cyclops" light I have on the 700 is stock, and would be the same light that would have been on the 725. Look on the hood, and you'll see a round "knock-out-pry-out" plug, just like Rokon2813 mentioned. Also in my gallery you'll see a 725 that I haven't started restoring yet, along with a couple of 738's I've been working on, along with the before and after pics of the 700.

Mike.

Yep you have the standard 8hp replacement engine common to the 700/725 and B-1. Same dimensions as the model 19 just has different electronics. Well's Implement has brand new lift lever grips for under $5.

www.wellsimplement.com

Kevin, I was looking for moon hubcaps and found that the golf cart community has them for $10-$15 per. Just measure your rims, they come in even, whole numbers. I got a pair from my local cart dealer, but you can also find them online. Good luck, Dave

quote:Originally posted by baker

I take the 725 os not rare where do you find the manufature numbers?

id="quote">
id="quote">Just about any garden tractor that age could now be considered rare. If the B-1 is in decent shape it is more collectible than the 725. Lots of people collect AC tractors and related items.