Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Can you help ID this lever?

Nik

I just bought my first garden tractor - a somewhat ancient and nifty Simplicity Landlord. There is a lever on the left side that is causing me some confusion. It is below the speed control lever and above the parking brake. In the manual photo it is identified as the power take off lever, but when I get on the tractor there is a lever on the right side that is marked as the PTO lever. The manual does not show any picture of a lever on the right, even though on the tractor it is clearly the PTO lever. I am guessing I don't have the correct manual. Can anyone help me identify the function for the unmarked left lever? If needed, I can send a photo link.

Thanks,

Since your parking brake is on the left, I'm guessing you have a 3400 or 7000 or 7100 series tractor.

It would have a lever on the left for the mid pto, and the one on the right is for the front for a snow blower.

However, having a speed control lever on the left is confusing me. Unless you mean throttle.

Yes, it's a 3400 and that's the throttle (I was using manual-speak, I guess). So, that explains it: the right side is for the snow blower which did come with the tractor. Looks like I can mow the lawn now - thanks very much!!

The one on the left is the "rear" PTO lever.

The one on the right is a "front" PTO lever. This is a manual PTO that is mounted on the engine driveshaft behind the grill. This is used primarily for powering a snowblower. Most tractors use an electric front PTO, but some came with the manual setup.