Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new member=dumb question

ronin70

Hey all, im a new member, and hope to contribute something usefull someday, but first a question, im rebuilding a carb from a briggs 300421 engine on a B12, where can I find a rebuild kit for that one?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carburetor overhaul kit for 300421 is Briggs part # 299720. Your local Simplicity dealer or pretty much any other small engine shop should have one, or can get you one. They're also available on eBay. You can order them from Jack's, but I've found that it's a lot cheaper to get them from a local dealer.

Welcome to the site..

Kits are available on ebay for most carbs and at times at a reduced price from some other outlets. Be sure to check around after you get a part number as there are savings to be had.

Cool, i'll look around and see, but i'll try to buy from a site supporter when I can.I'll be buying lots of parts im sure ~lol~.The engine on the B12 is in good shape but was missing the fuel system, so I took the carb from a B112 I was refurbing. I'll most likely be using the rear end from it also since the B12 was only from the BGB foreward.

I appreciate the help, if nothing else the tractor project will help my 7yo son learn how to do research. I told hime were being archeologists, and trying to rebuild a piece of history, he likes to think that way ~lol~.

If your Flo-Jet carb is in decent shape chances are you could get away with a good cleaning. The only thing really needed in the kit is the top gasket,P/N 270268,and it may very well be usable.

Gary

I dont think so, the poor thing was in bad shape. the tractor that it came off of was pulled out of the woods after 10 years, the engine schroud was eaten bad, and the carb was full of dirt.I cleaned it out and soaked it in vinigar to loosen everything up so i could take it apart,its going to need a rebuild for sure.

Well I got most of the parts off but now I have a bigger problem (atleast to me) the needle that goes from the bottom part of the bowl at an angle to the upper part where the float is is stuck in and looks like its corroaded in, this is the brass part inside the bottom of the jet hole at an angle, it has a slot for a standard driver, but it is stuck but good, and im afraid to strip it, any ideas how to get this out, does a rebuild kit come with another one so if I ruin it its no big deal?

The rebuild kit comes with a new emulsion tube. They can be tricky to get out sometimes. I've had to use an easy out to remove one before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, not fixed yet, I attempted to use a gun smithing screw driver that looked like the right size, but it is so frozen it it just stripped some, so I stooped trying for now. Im most likely either going to have to go to a easy out, or to a small engine mechanic who has the right tools and experience dealing with this.