Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mike_sdak

vacuum collector use

mike_sdak

Hi.

I am looking for a vacuum collector (PTO) attachment for my 917. I am thinking I would use it to bag occasional grass or, more commonly, to suck up windrows of grass left by a landscape rake or other cutting equipment.

Is it necessary to have the deck engaged when using this attachment? Just curious. And any other ideas on material collection welcome as well.

rich_kildow

Yes, unless you take off the belt driving the deck. I believe your PTO system is very close to my 7116 and you have a dual pulley cone clutch that is engaged by the PTO lever. One belt would be driving your deck and the other going back to drive the collector. There is a second lever on the collector that then engages the vac once the main PTO is being driven.

You wouldn't be able to run the collector without the deck since the first step is to engage the main PTO.

Talntedmrgreen

I would think that NOT having the deck running, would leave stuff behind, especially the farther your material is from the chute. The blades are sucking upward and driving material out the chute, aiding the vac.

Also, unelss you remove your deck/PTO belt, the deck and vac both engage with the cone clutch, simultaneously.

mike_sdak

Thanks guys.

I guess it probably is dependent on the lift created by the blades in order to effectively collect material. I wasn't sure how much suction was generated by the PTO blower. I bet it would be a handy attachment for those times when the grass growth gets out of hand.