Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How to get rid of gas smell

jsarro

My 3112 is in my garage right now, and it tends to have a fairly strong gas odor when parked.

I have a in line gas shut off, and I run the carburetor out of gas before putting the tractor away.

It was dripping from the carb before I installed the shut off and run it out of gas.

The gas smell seems to be coming from the carb.

What do I likely need to do to the carb to make it more air tight and not let out the vapors from the fuel system?

Thanks

What typically leads to the dripping or leaking from these old carburetors on the cast iron Briggs?

Well I you have the shut off and run it dry on the carb. I have had the same problem in the past and it tool me a few days to figure out the smell issue. And that's when I pulled the tank to find out it had 2 pin holes in it. After replacing the tank no more fuel smell out in the shop. So might wanna check that out to hate to be a bear of bad news if it is the case but I know the smell gets old fast.

If your shut off is working properly, and you run the carb dry, you should not be smelling any gas from the carburetor. If you still have the gas smell, I would agree with Bryan, pin holes in the tank, leaking fitting at the tank, bad hose, something. It isn't pleasant, health, or safe to have a fuel leak issue, so I would try to hunt it down. I doubt the carb is the issue though.

Thanks Bryan and Brett,

Those are some good ideas. I will have to run the tractor out of gas next time we cut the lawn, and test out the tank, hoses, and fittings.

The smell does get old fast, and I am not too big on the health risks for myself, my family, and the two Holland lop bunnies living in my garage.

I guess the problem obviously has to be somewhere between the tank and the carb.

I'll report back when I get to this one.

Fortunately now I have another mower, so I can take the 3112 out of service for a few days if need be.

All of my old cast iron Briggs drip a few drops of gas once in a while, I think it's pretty normal. My uncle used to be a dealer back in the day and he said they used to do that when they were new. Between me and him we've tried everything to stop it and can't.

quote:Originally posted by curlett

All of my old cast iron Briggs drip a few drops of gas once in a while, I think it's pretty normal. My uncle used to be a dealer back in the day and he said they used to do that when they were new. Between me and him we've tried everything to stop it and can't.

id="quote">
id="quote">Welcome to the club Alex!Thanks, that is good to know.

When I had drips they usually came from the long stud for the air cleaner where it bolts thru the carb, I used permatex sealer on them and they quit leaking.

If you had drips there, probably the float level was set wrong or the plunger not sealing off in the body. The bowl overfills, then dribbles down the vent tube.

quote:All of my old cast iron Briggs drip a few drops of gas once in a while, I think it's pretty normal. My uncle used to be a dealer back in the day and he said they used to do that when they were new. Between me and him we've tried everything to stop it and can't.id="quote">
id="quote">

That is why you will find that most of us use a fuel shutoff. It is about 5 bux at NAPA or a dealer. Unless you were to have a bad shutoff valve, they work. And you do not have any drips from the carburetor. I agree the Briggs seem to leak, as do the Kohlers at times. But if you eliminate the fuel flow to the carb, you are not going to have a leak (assuming you don't have a leaking bowl, in which case you run the fuel out until it's dry, and then fix the bowl).

As a plus, with a fuel shutoff, any repairs to the carburetor, or engine repairs that require removal, are made much easier by not having to deal with leaking fuel. I have them on all of the tractors, including my new out of the box Magnum. For the much older engines with leaking problems, it simply makes sense. For newer engines without problems, it is still a good thing for seasonal storage and service work.

I found the nut on the bottom of the carb, on the bolt that runs up through the air cleaner was quite loose and wet.

I tightened this up, and things seem better. I wont know for sure for a few days if I need to troubleshoot further.

Thanks for all the input and ideas on where to look.

quote:Originally posted by GregB

If you had drips there, probably the float level was set wrong or the plunger not sealing off in the body. The bowl overfills, then dribbles down the vent tube.

id="quote">
id="quote">Greg, when I pull the carb apart down the line I will check for the problems you mention. Without the fuel shut off, the carb definitely drips.It is all a matter of which repairs on which equipment you have time to get to first.I guess this is part of the fun and challenge of managing your own equipment.

B/S even appeared to have planned for the leaks. Most of the 4 bolt carbs actually have a hole in the bottom that is filled with a felt type material to allow any gas that leaks into the carb intake area to seep through and leak out, preventing the engine from being flooded the next time it is started.