Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
huffy

Lift group help needed

huffy

Jack's has all of the parts that I'm missing to install the lift group on my Sunstar, except for part #14. It says it's NLA. I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to do from looking at the diagram, but it looks simple enough to make so I figure I'll go ahead and make one. Can someone give me the dimensions of it? It looks like maybe 2" x 4" or so, and maybe 3/16" plate????

lift group.JPG

57e05838ec086_liftgroup.JPG.d433bfcb6cae06edac880cfc399e3ec4.JPG

maxtorman1234

I think it's only used on certain models, I had a rear lift group like yours and it was not on the tractor, I also couldn't see any use for it, but it must have a reason?

RayS

Not sure if you have the manual below. It says it is a upstop plate and shows it`s mounting location.http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/jgEBGP_dxN8tG5EPa7mRgtLvBCd6.pdfPage 129 at bottom says it isn`t used on tractor mfg. no. 1691710. Not sure what your mfg. no. is.http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8apM7rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdf

upstop.jpg

It appears to be just a stop for the tab that is welded on the lift. So that the rear lift doesn`t go to far forward.

upstop.jpg.22249ae34348c1f9773847a5c3ae647b.jpg

huffy

My model is 1691381, so it's supposed to be there.

I saw that in the manual, Ray. But, it's forward motion is limited by the limited range of the cylinder. So I didn't see why the plate was needed; it doesn't look like the cylinder has enough stroke to raise the lift enough that it would hit anything on the tractor. I could be wrong, though.

Anyways, I'd appreciate it if someone could give me the dimensions of the plate. Thanks.

stevenj

The forward/upward motion is not limited by the lift cylinder. The lift rod #24 slides relative to #5. The nut #6 contacts #5 when you are lifting, but even when raised fully, you can still rotate #8 causing #5 to move forward down the lift rod #24, which could cause the lift shaft to contact the fuel tank.

I'd install it on the tractor, then raise it to the maximum amount before something crashes into something else. Place a piece of cardboard against the upstop and against the inside of the frame rail and then mark the locations of the holes in the frame, thus building a template you need to fabricate the part.

Dan123

3/8 thick x 4 5/16 long x 2 1/2 wide. The holes are drilled 1/2 centered from the long edge. 1 hole is 5/8 centered from the short edge. The holes are 3 1/8 center to center long side.

stevenj is right you'll need the plate as a stop.

Also your frame should be predrilled for this piece, mine was!

PM me, I have one.

Dan

RedbarnRick

On my Legacy 3 point there is a 3/8"sq. x 1 1/2" long stop welded to this position, that didn't help when I ran the nut onto the rod too far and the adjuster on the center link put a nice ding in the center of the newly painted seat deck, I also tried to lift a grader too high and snapped the rod off at the mount. Murphy has been visiting for way too long this year.