Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler command 16hp - running problem

perry

it seems to me the exhaust valve is not closing. exhaust coming out of carb. could this be as easy as a head gasket or you think this engine needs a complete valve job ?. I never messed with these OHV engines.

video of engine running -

Do a leak down test. That is only sure way as engine has hyd valve lifters. I used to POO-POO it, but after making my own leak down tester, it eliminates all doubt.

quote:Originally posted by Dan123

My guess would be that is blow by coming from the crankcase. I think it would run a lot rougher than that if it had valve problems or head gasket issues.Dan

id="quote">
id="quote">thats exhaust sound you hear coming out of the carburetor. the engine wont rev up and when i pulled the filter off you could hear it get louder. so my first guess is valves ?. maybe it is blow by ?

quote:Originally posted by BLT

Did you check to see if magneto key is partially sheared? Common problen on OHV single cylinder engines.

id="quote">
id="quote">no not yet , but thats a good start. ill check that

If any valve wasn't closing, it would be the intake. When the piston intakes air, the intake valve opens. When it starts going back up, the intake valve closes. If the intake isn't closing, then when the piston comes back up, all the compression is going out the intake valve and out through the carburetor. this is just my thoughts, as I have had that problem before.

was thinking the coil maybe weak why its running bad , but i am leaning towards the intake valve being that its spitting out the carb. time to off this thing , im not rebuilding the head on it.

POS Kohlers ....:D

I had a similar issue with an M20. One of the small caps screws from the air filter mounting plate had come loose, got sucked into the engine, and was stuck between the intake valve and the cylinder. Blew back out of the carb like that. If it is a valve, it is an intake valve. It is fairy easy to determine which cylinder. Pull the plug wire and see which one isn't running.

As an aside, it is always a bit risky to run these like that, they are basically blowing atomized gasoline back out into the air. With misfires and exhaust gases, that's not a good combo.

quote:All I read is bad things about Kohlers.id="quote">
id="quote">

Now, now. Let's just chill out a bit here. You are hurtin' the feelings of us toilet boys. :o)

Every engine has valves. These are a piece of cake job. Pull the head, inspect and lap valves, replace lifters, replace head & gasket, bleed lifters, start engine. I have run several CH singles, and several 'intek' and assorted BS engines, the Briggs engines after a few hundred hours valves need continual adjustment or they won't turn over. These are now in the scrap pile!

Perry,

To me in the video it looks like a collapsed/failed lifter. With that cylinder at TDC (compression stroke), are the height of the valves & springs the same? If so then it's probably not a dropped valve seat. I don't know if the lifters can be removed without pulling the head. Graham (maxtormotorman1234) seems to have a fair amount of experience with these engines, so he might chime in.

Tom (PK)

took it apart and the cam lobe is completly worn off and the govenor is trashed. im thinking lots of small metal shavings have gone through this engine and its not worth a complete rebuild. its just a little simplicity regent lawn mower . It's a buddys tractor, If mine I would have sent it down the road on day one.