Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sb64

728 eating through plugs

sb64

Hi all,

Since I have redone my Simplicity Broadmoor 728, it seems to be going through quite a lot of spark plugs. I don't use the machine very rough, but over the winter, when I was using the blower, after about 2 months of using it when we had storms, I had to get a new plug. Then, when the winter months were over, I replaced it again. Now, it's been about 2 more months, and it is time for one again. It really runs rough when I use the tiller. The symptoms are, idle sounds O.K. but anything after that, it runs rough. This machine smokes just a very little bit. It is not the carburetor, because when I get the new plug, it sounds great without any adjustments. So my question is, what do I do to stop going through the plugs so fast?

P.S. I am running a Champion CJ8

Dan123

It sounds like it might be running a little rich and over time fouls the plug. Of course that depends on the color of the smoke that comes out of the engine.

Gordan

Looking at the plug should tell you what's up. If the mixture is right, the electrodes will be sort of tannish-gray. If they're black you're too rich or burning oil. If you're replacing them because they're eroded away, you're lean or knocking.

CooterDavenport

If the smoke is black it's running rich. It will run ok, untill it fouls the plug. The carb needs to be adjusted to fix this as it will cause excessive wear in the cylinder wall. If the smoke is blue, it's burning oil. Going to a step hotter plug as BLT suggested will help keep it cleaner longer.

sb64

Well bad news, I took the old plug out, and I saw that it was completely wet and black. Wiped it, and it is burning oil. It is my own fault, when I overhauled the engine over the winter, I saw that the rings were in good condition. So I decided not to get new ones. I'll be kicking myself for a long time now. Thanks for all the help anyway. So now there's just one more question, when I get new rings, do I get standard or chrome?

BLT

Most chrome rings come only in a standard bore size. So it depends the condition of the engine and the only way to tell is open it up.

Rick3410

You indicated that the rings looked good when you did the rebuild. How long had you been running it when you noticed the plug problem? I think you should try the hotter plug before a major tear down. The excessive oil looks like a possible ring problem - before you did the rebuild, was it running OK?

sb64

I put a CJ14 plug in, and it made no difference at all. I looked in the spark plug hole, and it was all black and wet. When i got the engine put back together this past winter, it sounded fine at first, then it was lack of power. I diagnosed it wrong, by thinking it was all dry instead of wet. Before the rebuild, the PO said it was seized, so I don't know how it ran. It sat on someones backyard for 9 years uncovered. I am hopefully ordering stock rings today.