Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3410 gear tractor stuck

Rick3410

I have a 3410 gear tractor that I cannot move. I purchased it as a parts tractor and am trying to decide if I should make it a working machine again. I can shift all four gears freely but cannot roll the tractor at all. When I raise the tractor rear wheels, I can turn them and they rotate in opposite directions. I thinking that there is a linkage broken or stuck in the transmission but don't have a clue how to debug this thing. Help please.

I had a similar issue with the tranny on a 738. I'm not sure what yours looks like, but, if it has a pipe plug on the top, for adding oil, remove it, and see if you can see the shift linkage and how the shift lever moves the gears. You may have to remove other things to get to it, such as seat, fenders, lock-out switch, etc. It sounds like your not completely in neutral, and maybe stuck in 2nd gear. Once you see how the shifter lever moves the gears / linkage, you can use a sturdy screw driver to move the gear, letting the shift linkage drop into neutral, and you'll then be able to roll the tractor. It's kind of hard to explain. There is also a member in here named Zippo, who has a Youtube video of the "bent screw driver" trick, which he does this same procedure on the tranny similar to the 700 or 725.

Mike.

Yep. It does have a plug for filling. I looked inside and can see the shifter moving forward and backwards. I also checked Zippo's video. Not sure how he put that curve into the screwdriver. I tried a strait screwdriver but can see to connect with anything inside. Does anyone have a cross section picture of this so I can see what I'm trying to grab on to?

quote:Originally posted by Rick3410

I also checked Zippo's video. Not sure how he put that curve into the screwdriver.

id="quote">
id="quote">Heat....If you have a bench vise, have it pre-cranked and ready with just a small gap between the jaws. Then heat the screwdriver with a torch until it starts to glow. Quickly put it in the vice, tighten it just below where you want the bend to be, and push the screwdriver handle until you have the desired bend...Voila!

Thanks for the link, Greg. Those pictures should definitely help. So, as I understand it the goal is to align these forks together to get it into neutral. One of the forks either needs to move forward or the other needs to move backwards. Does this sound right?

You should not need to beat with a hammer force, but there will be some resistance.

As far as bending, I used a round shank screwdriver. Not a square or hex that is meatier and harder to bend.

Propane should work, regular or swirl tip for a little more heat. Heat to a dull red and try the bending. You will feel the bend go soft when you have got it hot enough.

On the 738 I did this on, with the plug on top, and I mean it looked up at you when you exposed it, it wasn't on the side at all, I didn't need to bend the screw driver. I kind of poked around, moving things, while looking at an exploded view of the tranny, then I realized that the fork I needed to move was actually slid over to the middle. I used the screw driver to pry it back, actually shifting the trans out of 2nd, and the shift rod dropped down into the full neutral position. I could then roll the tractor freely, and shift into each gear. So, with the screw driver, your actually shifting the gear, so it should have about the same resistance as you would feel on the shift lever, when shifting. You might want to have the clutch pedal pushed in, while doing this, just like if you were running it. While doing this, I could see the wear marks on the fork from the shift rod assembly, so I make easy and positive movements while shifting, and no "gear jammin" or speed shifting, and hopefully I can prevent this from happening again. This is one of the reason I got the tractor so cheap, because of the tranny.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. This one has the plug on the side. I've tried to move things around with a straight screwdriver but no luck. Couldn't grab on to anything. I'm gonna work on the bent screwdriver method next. I'm going to need better lighting as well. Couldn't see anything in that small side hole.

It may be obvious, but once I had exactly the same problem. The brake band on the side of the transmission was stuck to the drum. Again, it's so easy to overlook that kind of thing.....

Failing that,

If you raise the rear wheels and turn the pulley on the transmission by hand , do the rear wheels turn?