Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

custom ball to fit in rear lift hitch?

mroman59

In the past I have heard that some people making a custom rod with ball hitch to fit in the rear lift hitch of the Simplicity tractor. I have a 7117 Simplicity and would like the design or to purchase a ball that would fit into the hitch. I assume it would be made of a rod with the same diameter as the rod that slides into the hitch like the tiller and then secure with a pin. However, there would probably be some kind of curve/angle to this rod and piece welded onto it which contains the hole to mount the ball on.

The purpose is to back your tractor up to a trailer hitch and raise the rear lift hitch of the tractor and get the ball to fit into it. I am not sure how much weight the rear lift can handle when doing it this way.

I do have an idea what it should look like but not sure of the exact angles of the shaft would be. I was hoping someone made one and can post photo.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Ray, those are all nice designs, but I was thinking more of a piece that would slide into the lift hitch tube and secure with pin, similar to the design in on the yellow tractor, but with the ball attached to that rod that is sliding into the tubing of the lift hitch. I will try to do a search and see what comes up in the archives.

MR

You would need a rod pretty long. Then you are risking not lifting your trailer the further you go back from the tractor. I made a 3` bar with a hook on it awhile back to move a complete rearend. It wouldn`t lift it off the ground. Tractor will lift my 300# 38" tiller though attached where it is suppose to be.

The other thing to keep in mind is the higher the trailer hitch is, the more likely the front of the tractor will lift. To be safe you need the hitch to be lower than the axle. As the hitch is raised above the axle the likelihood of the tractor flipping over increases.

Granted a lot depends on the weight of the trailer, but this needs to be considered.

Rick........

On my 712H, I used a piece of channel, with a hole through the side. I put a pin through the hole, and pinned it to the lift tube. Mounted a 2" ball on the end, used it to move my boat around the yard. With the electric lift, it worked nice.

Here is the movable hitch that I built for myself. Not only does it move up and down with the rear lift, but the ball is also adjustable within the slide so that it will match the trailer.

hitch2.jpg

hitch2.jpg.8bae43ca469f8473f9fa047126c5e7c4.jpg

• Like 1