Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rick3410

Mower Deck Covers or Not?

Rick3410

I removed my deck covers the other day with about three hours of mowing since I put them on. I was amazed at how much debris was under there. I expected it to look pretty clean because I had fully re-built the unit before starting to mow. I thought I would remove the covers and check all of my bolts to make sure everything is holding up properly.

It was loaded up with grass and a lot of it was very moist. Seems to me this is just going to destroy all of the work I've done to clean this up. Am I better off just running without the covers?

RayS

First thing I do is remove the covers when I bring a tractor home. They are a moisture trap and the deck will rot out faster with them in place.Removed my covers from my Prestige 12 years ago when I brought it home top of deck looks new.I don`t worry about the belt spinning or safety issues. I have enough sense to disengage the PTO before getting off any of my tractors.

48deutzdeck.jpg

Here is a good example.

DSCF1924.JPG

sandblasted and zinc metalizing sprayed on.

DSCF1926.JPG

epoxy primer

DSCF1927.JPG

painted

DSCF1934.JPG

Here is the deck restored.

48deutzdeck.jpg.84ef670a9a8bcbc9efe91fa70d4d6724.jpg

DSCF1924.JPG.6f49c43b823b4948f6e0f9fe0e7c0c9d.JPG

DSCF1926.JPG.ee4a2112d1759e1e1fe82d55659d5094.JPG

DSCF1927.JPG.860be82f5e8fc378913c61e66e10d837.JPG

DSCF1934.JPG.b9fe1aac4138ee5d1f8bcdae4a31e29b.JPG

Rick3410

I've got to agree about the moisture trap. Seems to me it will contribute to bearing problems and rusted pulleys also. No wonder these pulleys are so hard to remove. The deck sure looks a lot prettier with the covers on though.

Brettw

I recently picked up a newer Sovereign deck. Must be a late model deck as it seems to have little use on it, and (I had not seen this on any Large Frame deck before) the deck has only partial covers, covering each outside pulley, open on the ends and maybe a total of 8" wide? Seems like the best of both worlds. Protects the pulleys and/or the tootsies, but allows for easy cleaning and does not trap much in the way of clippings to begin with. Center arbor and belts are wide open. Perhaps (although I hate to suggest it) a set of original covers could be cut in the same way?

Rick3410

That's a nice restoration job as well. The other thing I don't understand is why the covers are so difficult to remove. All of those bolts and having to release bale parts to clear the path for removal make it a nightmare. I don't want to have to remove the deck, remove all of those bolts and disassemble the unit to get the covers off to clean it. I like to wash it down and blow it off with compressed air after every use. Seems to me that the way to make the bearings co-operate when it replacement time and keep your deck rust free giving many, many more years of service.

Has anyone come up with a quick disconnect method for these covers? If not, I may design one and share it. It would be nice to have the original look and ease of install/removal.

RayS

Most of them I have found. Like the one above. The covers were only removed to change a belt now and then.

I bought the deck above for $20 at my Simplicity dealer. It was getting ready to go to the scrap yard. It was from an Ultima and I made enough money off the gear box to completely restore the deck. One of those deals I have no money in. Just time.

Need to make a trip and see what else he is throwing away.

Rick3410

Brett, I think I've seen pictures of those covers. Maybe Simplicity realized the poor design of the covers and made the change. Does debris get hung up under the covers and are they easy to clean out? Removing the deck to clean it after mowing in just way too much work!

Rick3410

Yes Ray, I would think that would be the original intent. I had planned to remove the covers only when I was servicing the unit. I'm glad I checked to make sure my re-assembly was holding up or else I believe I would be rebuilding this thing long before I planned to.

Rick3410

So Ray, do you sandblast these yourself or do you use an outside service? I'd be curious what the cost would be to get set up to do large panel sandblasting or what the going rate is to get this done by a service.

RayS

I have it done. The sand and equipment cost more than taking it in and I don`t have the mess to clean up or have to breathe it.

I can get whole tractors done for $120 and the deck I had done for $40 - $50 by a friend last year and that included the zinc metalizing. The deck above that looks like bare metal is actually sprayed on zinc.

RayS

No. It is a little rougher actually. The primer sticks great then you can get it smooth by sanding and multiple coats of primer. I wouldn`t want it on a seat pan or hood. It will be on my early 716H running boards though.

But it works great on attachments. I had the deck done so I wouldn`t have rust issues in the future. The epoxy primer is excellent as well. It is by far superior to that red - grey oxide. You can hit it with a hammer and it stays in place. To bad the paint is the quality of the primer but I am sure it is out there but very expensive.

The primer is a two part system that can be thinned 20% so you get over two gallons for $100.00 you can prime several tractors with it and parts or attachments. It does have a catalyst so a mask is required.

Rick3410

Thanks, Ray. When I refinish my deck this winter, I'll use your approach. I like the results. Looks new. As for the covers, I guess I re-do those as well and keep them to look at. Anyone out there that has done a mod to these covers for quick release and replace?

rokon2813
quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

The covers slide out sideways no need to remove anything but the screws holding them on.

id="quote">
id="quote">On the RBT's with the eye bolt to attach the lift cable to they don't, or actually one doesn't. You have to raise the frame a bit or bend the cover to get it over the eye bolt.

Rick3410

They're just not designed to be removed but really need to be. On my John Deere loader, I have two panes. One panel has two clips and the other has one. Release the clips and they come right off. Rokon, you right about the eye bolt and to have to take 15-20 screws out every time you mow is just, crazy. Being able to slide them out sideways though, per OrangeMetalGuy sounds like the way to go. Maybe a slot for the eye bolt and a few strategic slots to catch and retain the panels. Maybe use two screws on the ends to secure them. When I get a chance, I going to give this a try. I'll post my results.