Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

well, ive really stepped in it. i need some help!

dirtmister16

hey guys.

ive searched on here and had no luck so far.

dad bought a simplicity wonderboy 700. same as the B1 far as i can tell. im having some issues with the wiring, im following the wiring diagram and think i have it right but still issues.

first of all i belive it to be wired correctly now, minus the terminal under the voltage regulator(ground?)

when i went to hook up the battery i keep getting sparks like im hooking it up backwards, tried reversing the cables in cas of a postive ground got the same result.

now what i think is going on is a shortage either in the regulator or starter generator. it could also be soemthing to do with the push button be old and contacts being bad possibly(not sure if thats a option).

ive never had a issue with wiring like this so im a bit puzzled. i have a wiring diagram for the b1 that i am following but maybe thats wrong?

ill get some pictures and/or make a video of it too so anyone that wants some imagery that shoudl help.

thanks in advance i know someone out there has the knowledge to test or check this out.

If you have an ohm meter or continuity tester you can check for a short to ground. Or internal short.

If it is the 'cubed' four terminal, one underneath, the underneathed one is the "A" trm, then with termianls facing you lft to right, "L" lights, "B" bat and "F" field.

BLT that helps, i wasn't sure what the A terminal was underneath the diagrams dont' help much with that. i thought it was a ground.

Simplewrench. so your saying put it on ohms and test what, point a to point b?

what should i see for a reading, i havn't dont much of for continuity tests before. ive read lot bout it but havn't had a chance to practice it.

i can't see a short somewhere, but that doesn't mean much. what if the push button is shorting? can i test that the same way? just tryhing to eliminate problems.

what if the regulator is shorted, how would check that? same? what do i do to check?

thanks for the info.

The bottom terminal should be marked L, sometimes A. It is use for lights/accessories. It has voltage on it all of the time so don't tie it to ground. That's a big, big problem. The top should be market GEN, F and BAT. Search this site and you'll find some good schematics for your tractor.

The way to use an ohm meter to test for shorting to ground is to set the meter to ohms, put the negative probe on a good, known ground (like an engine head bolt or a clean metal spot on the chassis), then use the red probe and touch the terminal you want to test. If there is no reading, the circuit is open and it is not connected to ground. If you get a reading, then you have continuity and are connected to ground.

The best way to approach this is to get ohm out the regulator. Make sure each wire goes where it's supposed to. Set the meter to ohms again, and check point a to point b shown on your schematic. If you see a reading you know that you are connected to that point.

This will insure you're voltage regulator is wired properly. It doesn't mean everything else is wired properly though. You'll have to take that one step at a time. Sound to me though, with your description of this wiring looking pretty straight, that your issue is with the regulator wiring.

havn't had a chance to dig into it more, had to mow and do tires and take down a old sight before work. busy day.

ill try to get at it tomorrow or saturday and let you know what i find.

guys, can anyone let me know if i can get any parts for the model 19 online?

will i have to go check at the dealer and see what he can find? never had a model 19 to deal with before

• 6 months later...

hey,

just wanted to update this thread. i appreciate all the help. i ended up selling the tractor beforei got the chance to finish up on it.