Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 slow

jwagman

I have a 6216 Simplicty with variator. I have replaced all of the belts and adjusted them as per the original manual. I have made sure that the variator is not stuck ( I pulled the the whole thing apart an greased everything). The tractor is still slow, not even close to what this tractor should do. The engine runs fine and I am pulling the hair out of my head trying to fix this. Engine is a two cylinder B&S and I made sure both cylinders were firing (they are). I am out of ideas. Any help would be great.

Hello,

In addition to checking that the floating center sheve in the variator is free, you also need to check that the arm it is mounted to can pivot freely.

There is a lever in front of the seat that is used to limit the travel of the variatior, and this works by physically contacting the variator arm and reducing it's travel.

If either the arm pivot is seized, or the limit lever is engaged, the variator will not shift up.

My 6216 had a sticky pivot, and I have read threads where others had been frozen.

I've seen posts where a user added grease fittings on the pivot bushings to allow lube.

Good luck with yours.

Hi there, I would also make sure the belt guides are adjusted right on the engine pulley. Also.... you need to adjust the variable speed control lever. And lastly....adjust the clutch peddle. I hope this helps you out..............Ralph

Check to see if your getting rotation speed and belt slippage. If the belt is slipping, it could be as simple as greasing some fittings.