Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sb64

This is getting very annoying

sb64

Hi, I now still have charging problems again

On the 728 broadmoor's, there is a 3 post voltage regulator. The three posts are, Battery, Generator, and Field. When i got the tractor, the starter/generator was filled with water, so I got a bench tested used one. The voltage regulator also had a lot of rust, but I thought it might work. It turns out it didn't. So today, I got a late birthday gift, and it was a new voltage regulator. It is the after market version. I saw that this had three posts on the side, and one on the bottom. I hooked it up the same way, but I just left out the light terminal. Started it up, and nothing! I tried polarizing it from the Battery terminal to the generator terminal. Still nothing. This is really getting frustrating! My generator is tested good, and the regulator is new. Also, I followed the wiring diagram exactly. Right now I just need something to point me in the right direction. I have already read and printed out the delco Remy voltage regulator info. in tech tips and articles: http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PDFs/1R-116.pdf

JJ MARSHALL

is your amp gauge good ?

is the voltage regular grounded ?

is there a fuse in this wiring ?

try a jumper wire to the F terminal on generator from ground for second

and watch amp gauge.

JJ

sb64

Yes, the amp guage is good, and the voltage regulator is grounded. I didn't put a fuse in the wiring when I redid it. I tried grounding the F terminal on the generator and voltage regulator, and still nothing.

BLT

If it is the 'cubed' four terminal, one underneath, the underneathed one is the "A" term, then with termianls facing you left to right, "L" lights, "B" bat and "F" field. The last three are marked.

Ronald Hribar

This may be way off base. Is it a Simplicity generator?

I think the Cub Cadet used a similar generator but with reverse rotation

sb64

No it's delco remy. Did simplicity make a starter/generator? Thanks BLT, that is the way I have it wired. I have the A terminal of the generator hooked to the bottom gen terminal of the voltage regulator. And the F terminal of the generator is hooked to the f terminal of the voltage regulator. And the battery wire is Hooke to the battery terminal.

Rick3410

Ronald has a good point on the rotation. Delco-Remy makes these in clockwise and counter clockwise rotation. Did you ohm out the wires for continuity? Sometimes connecting and disconnecting can cause internal wire breakage and sometimes the crimps come loose at the terminals. Do a good visual inspection and check the wires from point to point to be certain you have continuity.

sb64

I will check that, but I did think of something else, how can I check if my generator is actually putting out anything? When I got the generator, he said it was bench tested good. Did he test the charging too, or did he just check starting? It could be my generator giving the problem.

powerking_one

Ryan,

Based on what has been reported in this post, I tend to agree with Bill (PhanDad) about the field coil in the S/G being the culprit. With the engine running at full throttle (~~3600 RPM) if you short the "F" terminal to ground, it should be putting out maximum output. You can check the ammeter and/or use a DVM on the current range/setting in series with the "A" terminal connection. When doing this, alternately monitor the battery voltage; it should be above ~~ 13.8 VDC if the S/G is fundamentally charging.

Tom (PK)

JJ MARSHALL

start it up and hook a + hot wire to the A terminal

then hook a ground wire to the F terminal

if you see or feel the engine slow down

then your generator is charging don't know how much.

BE CAREFUL

JJ

sb64

Well, I ended up doing my replacing the rings project, so see and how I already had the engine off, I tried BLT's trick with one of the cheap 1.5 amp batter chargers. The ones where you plug them in, and they have constant juice no-matter what. I put the negative on the chassis, and the positive on the A terminal, and it turned over slow because it is only a 1.5 amp. Then, I turned the pulley by hand, and it felt smooth. When I turned it again, I put the positive on the field terminal, and I could feel the resistance. So, my starter/generator is good. Now, since I have the engine off, I will retrace all the wiring, and make sure everything is right. I will post back after I get done with the rings and wiring.