Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
goatfarmer

Electric clutch Broadmoor 12.5

goatfarmer

About a year ago, I smoked the PTO clutch on my Broadmoor. It was the original, so I figured it was time. Replaced it with a Warner 5215-59 from EBay.

This one went out last week. I figured it would last a lot longer than a year! Did I get a bad clutch, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Brettw

Ken, are you sure it's the clutch and not a connection? I unplug them, and put 12volts right to them to see if they click in. If they do, I go looking elsewhere. Just bought a Broadmoor that the PO said the clutch was junk. Unplugged it and put the charger to it and it snapped right in. Pulled the ignition switch and the PTO switch and cleaned the connections, cleaned the switches and WD40 them, and it works like a champ.

Then, there is the adjustments to the clutch, I think the Sunstar clutch was 12 thousandths as an example, between the clutch plates. If that gap gets too big, the magnet wont be strong enough to engage it.

Be glad it's a Broadmoor and not a Sunstar. On the Sunstar, the ignition module/Lord Nanny comes into play too! That can make it a real head scratcher to figure out what is wrong.

goatfarmer

No, it started smoking when the better half was using it, and now it's locked up.

Yeah, I blamed her.....B)

goatfarmer

clutch1.JPG

clutch2.JPG

This is the electric clutch I removed. It was installed 04/12, so it was used maybe 12-15 times, before it burned up. Maybe just a bad one?

clutch1.JPG.2246e8c2be427e3e5265799efedccb66.JPG

clutch2.JPG.84717dae83a5832b5febf669a857554d.JPG

goatfarmer

Great article, Bob.dOd

It says air gaps are pre set at the factory, and do not need initial adjustment. One thing that concerns me is that it shows an anti rotation bracket, which mine didn't have. It mounts so, that if it would turn, it hits a bracket on the tractor, not a separate bracket. But that shouldn't cause the problem I had.

I didn't burnish it, maybe that would help.

Chris727

My Landord has the anti-rotation arm built into the tractor frame. On the Deere machines at work there is a replacable stop arm that bolts onto the tractor frame.