Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adjusting Clutch V-Speed Transmission (Fixed)

jsarro

I believe my clutch brake may need adjusting. If the V-speed is in a higher speed like 7, the transmission will grind upon trying to shift the 3-speed manual. If the V-speed is in 4 or below, it does not grind when I shift the manual 3 speed.I was reading the instructions on the clutch adjustment, and it talks about maintaining a 7/8" gap between the forward lock nut and the rod guide when the V-Speed is in the low position (I assume this is V-speed in the 1 position, and then tightening the rear lock nut.I have two questions:1)If you look at the image below of my tractor, it only appears to have 1 lock nut. Am I missing a lock nut here?2) I do not understand if I did have 2 lock nuts, and the rod bar, what keeps and separates the 7/8" distance between the forward lock nut and the rod bar? I don't quite get it. Maybe it would be easier to understand if I had both nuts.Any help would be appreciated. What are your suggestions under these circumstances?

06142013 027.JPG

Thanks

57e058401900c_06142013027.JPG.cd8b3303746e174d63860cdc1ca3f21b.JPG

I looks like this nut is tightened against a cotter pin with no adjustment at all. Is the pin supposed to be there? Usually on these type of rod adjustments, there are tow back to back hex nuts. You space the forward one accordingly and then tighten up the back one. Locking the nut in place with the second nut will keep your spacing proper. This looks like there is no adjustment feature. I'm wondering if someone set it to the 7/8 dimension, marked it and then drilled a cotter pin hole. Maybe had problems with the locking nut backing off? Speculation.

Thanks Rick, you may be exactly right. I would not doubt that at all.

I believe it has been modified.

I don't see a cotter pin anywhere in the manual, just 2 lock nuts.

I have another one of these tractors I am going to look at today, to see how it is set up.

After topping off the transmission fluid, all grinding has disappeared.

I can leave the variable in high speed, and shift the manual without issue now.

I would still like to know that I am in proper variable adjustment though, as to get the most out of the transmission.

I am still having grinding issues when I shift the 3 speed manual, when my variable drive is in the 5-7 speed. If the variable drive is in 1-4, I get no grinding when shifting the 3 speed.It is as if everything is spinning too fast even at low idle to go into gear smoothly.I am thinking my clutch needs adjusting, but I am not sure how to do it properly when comparing the service manual to my tractor. I am sure it is something simple, but I just don't understand it yet.Here are some pictures from my parts tractor showing the double lock nut set up that should be present.

06152013 001.JPG

06152013 002.JPG

If you look at my prior post pictures, they show the actual tractor I am trying to fix, which is missing the lock nut, but instead has a cotter pin modification.The service manual says:1) Put in low speed2) Position forward lock nut so that gap between it and rod guide is 7/8"3) Hold forward lock nut steady while tightening rear lock nut.I don't know if my rod is too short or what, but I don't see how I can have a 7/8" gap unless I pull the rod guide forward because it is on a spring. When the spring is just sitting relaxed, I don't have the room for the gap.I may try tomorrow going through the 5 step variable speed drive adjustments, and see if that fixes it. Maybe that is my whole problem why I can't understand how to adjust the clutch properly.Anyone experienced with these adjustments, your input would be appreciated.I want to be able to use the variable in all ranges without grinding, whatever will fix that issue.Thanks

57e05e6cd5521_06152013001.JPG.b9335bc4c28e655d5f5ec960a05a29a0.JPG

57e05e6ce83d8_06152013002.JPG.77273ac2a43e1f96d9b947319cb1e766.JPG

I guess worst case, I could add a lock nut, and try bringing the guide more forward so the clutch will activate more upon depressing the pedal, and see if that fixes it.

I'll report back after trying these few ideas.

Looks like either the variables are out of adjustment, or the belt is worn, either one allowing the belt to ride too deep in the pulleys, effectively making the pulleys "smaller" so that the belt is too long allowing the clutch spring to pull back too far.

From what I've seen and read, it takes very little wear on those belts to get everything out of whack. If the belt measures any less than an inch in width it needs to be replaced.

Are there belt guides on that style? If your getting grinding, the belt is not releasing from the pulleys allowing them to stop when the clutch is depressed.

Might want to take the pulleys apart and make sure they are clean and move (slide) freely. 5-7 speed would be when the front pulley is closed (narrow) and the rear is open (widest). One or the other may be sticking and not moving as far as it should.

If you understand how a variable works, it changes the pulley sizes to change the gear ratio.

If at the 5-7 positions one pulley has not moved properly, then basically that pulley is the "wrong" size for that gear ratio, making the belt the wrong length

Since you have too much clutch linkage travel, so the belt appears too long, I would bet the front pulley is not closing fully so it is not large enough to take up all the slack in the belt

Either sticking pulleys or improper adjustment, or a too narrow belt could be the cause.

I'm not betting on belt wear, since that normally would cause slippage, not grinding, but I would not rule it out either.

Bear in mind, I'm not there, so this is just my opinion, and I don't like variables :D

Dan, today I will go through all the adjustment procedures and see If the belt is riding to high, and check everything else you mentioned.

Seeing as you understand how this works with the belts and the pulleys to change speeds, this sounds like this is a likely problem.

I never got to adjusting the variable speeds, because I could not get past first trying to make the first clutch adjustment.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all the information, that is a big help.

I went through all the adjustment procedures for the variable transmission and was able to fix the grinding.

Adjusting the variable transmission also fixed the clutch adjustment simultaneously.

The first step in the 5 step procedure seemed to be the issue. By moving the rocker arm back on the variable, it tightened the belt. I had to do a little tweaking here and there to get things smoothed out, but this ended up being the step to fix things.

The clutch rod now appears with the 7/8" gap from the lock nut. By adjusting the rocker arm, it brought the rod guide forward fixing two things at once.

Yeah!dOd

Thanks Dan for the input!

The reason for the 7/8" slack in the clutch rod is that the belt tightener/clutch pulley needs some free movement as the diameters of the vari-drive pulley don't stay constant through the ratios. If you look at the clutch rod gap in slow speed vs. high speed you will see the gap is different.

Also the vari-drive has a belt break on the clutch pulley that needs to be adjusted correct to stop the belt.