Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire replacement

Rick3410

I'd like to understand my options for tires. I'm interested in the largest AG tires for the rear that I can put on the 7000 series tractor. For an end result I would like tires that look great, are reasonably priced and perform well. Can you guys steer me in the right direction?

GCT definitely has the cheapest tires. But, the tires they carry tend to run a bit smaller than the Carlisles, which you can get at www.millertire.com

I'm not sure how big of a tire you can put on the back of your 7000 series without hitting the deck rollers.

The GCT prices definitely look good. Were the Carlisles original equipment on the old Simplicity tractors? As I said, I do want the largest tires I can fit. Interesting that you said I would hit the deck rollers as opposed to the seat deck. I have a 42" deck.

26x12x12 will hit rear pto.

Also fenders will rub

Wheel spacers and NASCAR baseball bat will take care of that

So 24's are the biggest I can use? What's the max width? Will I need spacers for wider tires? Also, what is a NASCAR baseball bat? Will a Louisville Slugger do?

quote:Originally posted by Rick3410

So 24's are the biggest I can use? What's the max width? Will I need spacers for wider tires? Also, what is a NASCAR baseball bat? Will a Louisville Slugger do?

id="quote">
id="quote">26" will fit depending on the brand, as some run undersize in height.Your wheel is going to matter, width and offset.As for max width? There isn't any. You could put a 40" wide tire on if you build the right wheel :o:O

I don't think that going too wide is a good thing. I'm more interested in max height and a good, rugged appearance for the tractor. Is trial and error the only way to tell if a brand is undersize in height?

probably a 23 10.50 12 is the largest that will fit and not hit stuff. The next normal size is 26 12 12, would need a different rim like from a Cub Cadet or JD 400 series for the tire but you will have clearance issues with the PTO, fender pan and possible the mower deck. A nice pair of the 10.50 tires in ag bar tread should look real good, use the extra $$ that you dont spend on bigger tires to get a set of tri rib style for the front, you can get those from M.E. Miller tire, Firestone make them. My 7116 has Goodyear Softracs on the rear and Carliles on the front(probably replacements). My rears are only 8.50 wide and I find that if you want to get into field day plowing(moldboard plow), that the narrower 8.50 wide tires ride better down in the furrow. The 10.50 width tended to catch dirt clods if following a smaller tractor with a smaller plow. Cheers Mike

I have two sets of 26x12x12 tires, one set of Dico turfs, and a set of Carlyle SuperLugs. Neither set hits the fenders and neither set hits the PTO. Hitting the PTO is dependent on the backspacing of the wheels the tires are mounted on. The following pictures show the Dico turf tires on my AC713S. You can see the fit yourself. These are not stock Simplicity wheels. Both sets have been widened and have a smaller backspacing than stock.

Newtires.jpg

Newtires2.jpg

The following tires are the Carlisles mounted on my AC716H.

Tires4.jpg

Newtires.jpg.a2610f57d615b79ea1ecfdeca29d94c3.jpg

Newtires2.jpg.e7ed57b17a9d27cbed3d38dac696d354.jpg

Tires4.jpg.b5b6d5c847678cfe19930d2b0026fd21.jpg

So, what you're saying is that with the back spacing the wheels are out far enough to clear the PTO? How much space is required?

I will try to get a chance to measure my wheels tomorrow. I bought one set already widened to 12 inches. The other set were originally 6 inch wide, and I cut them and welded in a plate to make them 11 5/8 wide.

Rick, as usual there are different opinions on this. Most people say the 12 inch wide tires can be mounted on 8 inch wheels. This is the minimum width that Carlisle recommends. I personally like a rim around 12 inches wide because it allows the use of a higher tire pressure while keeping the tread flat on the ground..

12 inch tires on 8 inch rims. I guess a two inch overlap on each side would work. Sort of pushing it though. I agree with you that wider on the wheel would be better.

These are 24 X 12 X 12 with 8.5 rim opening and about 1/2-3/4" offset closer to tire mouting flange. I stuck 4 X 4's up to measure distance between tires so I could use my 42" deck. The distance is roughly 38"

WTcmowerDstnce.jpg

I think those tires go for roughly $160.00 ea.

So the deck goes out about two inches beyond the tires on each side. With the space from the deck housing to the blade, that should make the cut about 38 inches as well. Do I have this right? At $160 each, are these Carlisle tires? They sure look good.

Forgot to mention that I am running a 48 inch deck with my 26x12x12 tires. It works fine but will only lift the rollers about an inch or so off the ground without getting the rear of the deck in contact with the tires. Not a real problem to me and it cuts faster than the 42 inch that I previously had.

Just to answer another question that may be asked, "for years I mowed my lawn with a 48 inch deck being driven by a 10 Hp engine". It worked great as long as I mowed at least once a week when the grass was growing fast. 16 Hp is "not" required for a 48 inch deck.

I now have that deck on another tractor that has 13 Hp. Don't see much difference other than the fact that the 13 Hp uses more fuel.

Also, contrary to what Ron said above, I have "never" used a baseball bat or anything else to bend my fenders out for more tire clearance. The "baseball bat trick" is used on automobiles when the tires stick out too far and the face of the tire gets hit by the flare on the inside of the fender when the spring is compressed. You use the bat to pry the fender slightly outward so that the tire can go upward behind it without touching. This does not work when the tire sticks out at least 2 inches past the fender.

You can gain more tire clearance, if needed, by either putting a couple spacers under the front mount of the fenders or making extensions for the rear pivot mount to lift it higher or both. My fenders still sit at the factory position. I do have a set of rubber fender flares that I made which are mounted on the orange tractor. These may give the look of fenders that have been bent out. My fenders are still stock, other than the holes for mounting the flares.

Excellent idea. Gain height by extending the seat deck brackets. That's a great option if I find a deal on tires/wheels that are just a little too large.

These are Firestone, 26 12 12 mounted on 8" wheels. I had to raise the seat pan about 2 inches to clear. I think Firestones are near the tallest actual height, and mounting them on narrow wheels makes them a bit taller too, Like Rod said, wider wheel lets you run more air and still have a flat profile across the tread.I only raised the back of the pan, not the front. Note: you will NOT get your's that close together on a stock tractor. I had to cut the bgb shaft off to tuck them in that far.

firestone 26 12 12.jpg

57e05e7150834_firestone261212.jpg.52ae0bf94bd005ff58c5531f8206773e.jpg