Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What's my problem?

ardisam

My Allis Chalmers 916 hydro has blown 2 belts for the 42 inch mower, I have the right belt(1666801). I rebuilt this deck, I have put a new center pulley on it. I'm not sure what to do, the back idler is in the right hole and V-idler is not bad. I have changed out the to pulleys with my Deutz Allis 916. I also have the right tension on the belt. I need a little help before I go buy a new belt.

Last time I had that problem, the PO had the deck way out of adjustment, the front way too low so the pulley scrubbed the belt off from the side.

With your blades turned so they point straight front to back, the front tip of the center blade should be 1/4" to 1/2" higher than the rear tip of an outside blade

Before I adjusted it, I could go through a belt in about an hour, after, belt was on it's second season when I sold the tractor

It makes the angle at which the belt enters and exits the deck pulley too much and the pulley actually grinds the belt off from the side.

The belt will work for a while, but as Rokon said, it approaches the pulley at an angle that wears out the side of the belt eventually causing the belt to break.

I recently worked on a tractor that had a 48" deck on a 918 doing the exact same thing as you describe. It turned out that one of the idler pulleys sounded like the bearing was slightly dry. It also had the tension adjusted to the tight side of the green zone which I believe was heating the idler bearing and would then momentarily seize the idler. Once it cooled slightly the idler would appear to function correctly. Once the idler was replaced and the tension was backed off to the loose side of the green zone all worked correctly.

Dan

Well, I had good luck with my 48 inch for my 917! So, I am going to put the 42 inch deck to my future Allis Chalmers 910 6 speed and take the 48 inch from my Deutz Allis 916 and use it on the Allis 916(now a 917).