Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Rick3410

NOS hour guages

goatfarmer

Not necessarily for Simplicity, but hour meters in all shapes and sizes can be found at equipment dealers.

Rick3410

There's a knockout on the panels which require a specific size. I've seen the digital meters but I believe the originals were analog meters.

Rick3410

Wow, that's a beautiful meter. What's the easiest way to remove the knockout from the panel. I'm trying to do it but there must be a special technique required because I can't budge it.

Rick3410

I've been trying to chisel this thing to get it to open but, I'm afraid that if I hit it any harder I'm going to dent up the panel. I would think this thing would pop out like an electrical box knock out?

Brettw

As I recall it was a bit sturdier than an electrical box knock out, and I think I used a Dremel to help it along. I may have even had to open it up a bit with the Dremel for it to fit. It has been a few years so it's a bit cloudy. In the end it looks and works great however.

Rick3410

So what I need is a dremel tool with a metal cutting disk. Is there anything special about the metal cutting disk that I need to know about?

PhanDad

They fit perfectly. Here's a pic of the one in my 75th:

IMG_6094b.jpg

I got that one at hangar-10.com, an aircraft parts supplier. I went aviation grade because they can take vibration. I believe the original Simplicity ones were as well. I'm not saying a standard one wouldn't be OK, I was just more comfortable spending a few extra $$ for the aviation grade.Just make sure the one you order is for 12 volts. Most of them are. But some are only 24 volts and up.

IMG_6094b.jpg.2cfbf8b2a716e60f18008c8ed8ab681c.jpg