Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

NOS hour guages

Rick3410

Not necessarily for Simplicity, but hour meters in all shapes and sizes can be found at equipment dealers.

There's a knockout on the panels which require a specific size. I've seen the digital meters but I believe the originals were analog meters.

Wow, that's a beautiful meter. What's the easiest way to remove the knockout from the panel. I'm trying to do it but there must be a special technique required because I can't budge it.

I've been trying to chisel this thing to get it to open but, I'm afraid that if I hit it any harder I'm going to dent up the panel. I would think this thing would pop out like an electrical box knock out?

As I recall it was a bit sturdier than an electrical box knock out, and I think I used a Dremel to help it along. I may have even had to open it up a bit with the Dremel for it to fit. It has been a few years so it's a bit cloudy. In the end it looks and works great however.

So what I need is a dremel tool with a metal cutting disk. Is there anything special about the metal cutting disk that I need to know about?

They fit perfectly. Here's a pic of the one in my 75th:

IMG_6094b.jpg

I got that one at hangar-10.com, an aircraft parts supplier. I went aviation grade because they can take vibration. I believe the original Simplicity ones were as well. I'm not saying a standard one wouldn't be OK, I was just more comfortable spending a few extra $$ for the aviation grade.Just make sure the one you order is for 12 volts. Most of them are. But some are only 24 volts and up.

IMG_6094b.jpg.2cfbf8b2a716e60f18008c8ed8ab681c.jpg