Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GLPointon

Different PTO shaft sizes..?

GLPointon

I have a problem, I have a 16hp Kohler to repower a 10hp Kohler. The 16hp has a 1" front PTO shaft but the old 10hp has a 1 1/8" front Pto shaft. So to swap my Electric PTO Clutch from my 10 to the 16hp engine I need a "shaft spacer/bushing"....Is there such a thing? I/ve used them on electric furnace motors to put a bigger pulley on a smaller motor shaft.

I looked a McMasters but cant find anything this big or with a keyway in it......Help sm00

Thanks for any ideas or help sm01

John_in_Oxford

And because I am not above backyard butchery (er, I mean "resource engineering), I have used good old fashioned EMT conduit in a crisis.

Just went to measure what I have here, and realized others already have that info:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0cch1

You need a reduction in total of 125 thousandths, which works out to 0.0625 a side.

And 1" conduit has a wall thickness of 0.057 - in like Flynn, I'd say. Cut a slot with your handy-dandy hacksaw, get a piece of the next size larger keystock, file it down to fit - And DONE!

Now you can go out and sin like a sailor on your new toy!

It's a curious thing that you posted this request - I was just contemplating what it would take to mount an electric clutch where that PTO cone clutch is on my 3416H - which needs the same sort of adapting.

GLPointon

Thanks guys...I found this late last nite on E-bay and with an oversized key it should do fine. Thanks John for the conduit tip...that woulda been my next step. I think this is the same seller as the one you found too...

That 3416 idea sounds interesting...sm01

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370833053296?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:BIN&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2650#ht_1820wt_758

HubbardRA

Are you sure that bushing fits? It is 1 1/8 x 1 1/4. Don't you need 1 x 1 1/8? Are you planning to try and cut it off in the keyway area so it will fit in a 1 1/8 bore instead of the 1 1/4? Maybe there is something that I am not understanding.

GLPointon

No Rod it is correct. The size on the E-bay bushing is 1" x 1 1/8" x 1 1/4"....1"id x 1 1/8"od and the 1 1/4" is the length. I had to do a double take too when I first saw that sm01 ps...I actually switched to one that is 3" long so I can get the full depth of the pulley on the shaft adaptor.

quote:Originally posted by HubbardRA

Are you sure that bushing fits? It is 1 1/8 x 1 1/4. Don't you need 1 x 1 1/8? Are you planning to try and cut it off in the keyway area so it will fit in a 1 1/8 bore instead of the 1 1/4? Maybe there is something that I am not understanding.

id="quote">
id="quote">