Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best customizing tips

Rick3410

There are a lot of great stock tractors out there, but, let's face it, some vintage pieces will just never be restored to original. Instead, they are converted into custom pieces of magnificence. I love the stock tractors, however, I also appreciate great innovation and customized excellence. I'd like to hear your best ideas for modifying my 7016 into a head turning piece or art. So, what can I do to make my tractor stand out in the crowd?

This exhaust trick will work well on your 716. Weld on a chrome tip, to eliminate the black soot around the hole in the hood.

Exhaustwelded.jpg

Then put a cover over the pipe to cover the weld. I usually screw or pop-rivet them to the hood after painting. You can usually find some nice trim rings that fit around pipes in a store that sells plumbing fixtures.

Exhaustcover.jpg

Here is what the one on my AC713S looks like.

exh1.jpg

Here is a picture of me on my AC713S. You can see the exhaust. If you look at the air cleaner you will see the inlet snout from a Chevy air cleaner that I welded to the B/S air cleaner. You can also see the fender flares on the rear fenders that I made from a piece cable cover that is used to run a computer cable across the floor where people will be walking on it. It also has a chrome dash insert. It also has reflectors from a Pinto that look like taillights. There is also an aluminum plug in the hole where the gas tank filler originally was. I have a different tank on that tractor. The AC logo on the grill is also custom and hand made. My tractors usually have a few custom touches. This picture was taken shortly after I finished building this tractor. It sure doesn't look that nice now, since it is a full-time worker.

1sf1.jpg

Here is also a picture of the chrome plate that I mounted to my dash with stainless screws.

Dashplate.jpg

Exhaustwelded.jpg.9182c2e84b18325e4f33c5b536488d4b.jpg

Exhaustcover.jpg.467d8d44a2094f8be7e3f3687f5e73c8.jpg

exh1.jpg.8373cc568bc041f687a56c3f4d19f6c0.jpg

1sf1.jpg.fa2ab466f0ec63ef2d6a6b40a75d5c1f.jpg

Dashplate.jpg.060bfe553b7ee58213271987000d1f36.jpg

quote: Add a 20 something in a bikini to the seat!!! id="quote">
id="quote">

And I would add "female" to that sentence. :D

I've gotta say that the HD is pretty sweet. Add Zippo's wheels and the twenty something female and there probably wouldn't be a show you could loose. But seriously, these are some great ideas. Has anyone modified any body panels for a more customized look? I like the clean look of the painted engine as well. Nice change from the typical black. Would that have to be powder coated or will a high temp paint do it? It looks pretty clean, no discoloring.

Thanks for the tip, Rod. That exhaust hole does get black and the pipe looks like it does the trick and, it looks good!

Buck racks and saddle bags are a nice touch, Rockon. I guess the red light is so you can be easily found! There must be some body mods out there? Or custom paint? Modified dashes?

quote:Originally posted by Rick3410

Buck racks and saddle bags are a nice touch, Rockon. I guess the red light is so you can be easily found! There must be some body mods out there? Or custom paint? Modified dashes?

id="quote">
id="quote">I have no idea who that belongs to. I took that picture at a tractor pull several years ago

Have no pictures to show but in addition to a custom ball hitch mount and a switched 12 volt power socket on the rear for my sprayer, I also installed a car horn under the hood. It gets some attention when people driving by blow their horn and I honk back. :)

I love it. I wonder if I could get a semi truck horn to fit? One way to get respect when mowing near the road.

Going for the mini farm tractor look is all the rage today. But do that right IMHO you need to repower with a diesel. Anything with a nicely done diesel repower gets attention at shows, espicaly if its made to look factory. Kind of like a sleeper, just looks like a normal 7016 till you get close and see the little word "Diesel" under the model number and look under the hood. I have seen everything from 2 cylinder Kubota liquid cooled diesels to single cylinder air cooled Yanmar clones or other odd engines. The 10hp Yanmar air cooled clones are good for around 14hp in the torque dept at 3600rpm. Most of the work depends on your fabrication and welding skills. Dropping in a liquid cooled diesel requires these ablities for making motor and radiator mounts ect. Kubota does a little jewel of a 12hp liquid cooled 2 cylinder diesel, was used in thier G4200 garden tractors. Just purrs when it runs! Mike

Since we are talking about radical changes to the tractors and not just small customization items, I thought I would include an old picture that I had. It is my first "Modified Class" puller, "Plum Krazy". It was changed many times while I ran it, but this is the configuration that got me the Virginia state championship back in 1990. Wish I had a better picture, but the tractor is long gone to the scrap heap in the sky, and most of my pictures from back then seem to have gotten tossed when the wife made me take all my trophies to my garage.By the way, the little boy standing on the trailer is my youngest son, Randy. He is now 23 and is working as an accountant, in Staunton Va. Many of the other pullers had enclosed trailers, but I always like having my tractor on an open trailer. It was a lot of fun just watching the faces of the people looking at the tractor as I drove by, or having people come up to me and ask about it when I stopped for gas. I miss the competitions, but don't miss all the work it took to get to the top of the class and win a trophy. After I got that trophy I dropped back and just let my boys have fun pulling and I quit driving.By the way, I completely built this tractor from the ground up, starting by building a frame and finishing by throwing some garden tractor sheetmetal on it to make it look like a tractor.

PlmKr.jpg

PlmKr.jpg.2d9b35e8edef1e81c715f40a3f48b878.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Rick3410

Nice projects you have going, Swede!

id="quote">
id="quote">If I could just focus on one and afford all of them!!!