Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs and Stratton Performance Parts

Rick3410

Does anyone know where I can buy B&S performance parts to add a nice custom touch to my engine. I have seen chrome shields and covers on these but have never found anyone who sell them. I'd like to get my 16 HP looking show condition.

You probably saw chrome parts for the Briggs 5 hp engine that was used in racing karts and a lot of aftermarket pieces are available for that engine..

You are probably going to have to send out the 16 hp parts for chroming.

Gary

Hard to believe there are no custom options for these things. Is sending out for chroming expensive - let me re phrase that, what kind of bucks can I expect to pay for chroming? Say for example, the large engine skin?

On option might be a very high gloss black enamel. Done right, that would shine almost like chrome, and may be easier to accomplish?

I've seen painted engines that look pretty nice. Like the Harley Davidson tractor. That engine is painted red. Looks really nice but I'm not sure how the head stays that nice. No discoloration from the heat. Don't know if high temp paint will do it or if it needs powder coat. I can't believe no one out there has tricked out their motors.

A blower cover would easily run $100. If you have a Kohler there are custom parts around through Midwest Super Cub. Kohlers were used on Cubs and Deere machines which have a following in the puller circles. Its not unusual for a pulling tractor to have over $5000 invested into it.

A hundred bucks for the a chrome blower cover finish sound pretty reasonable to me. I think the "end look" would be fantastic. Could the block and head be chromed as well? Seems like I heard something about chromed parts not dissipating the heat properly?

Briggs never marketed the air cleaners as being chromed. For several years the air cleaner covers for the 10-16hp cast iron engines came with a chrome finish. It was not a highly polished finish, it was more dull looking. You were never able to order a "Chrome" or "plain" cover. If you order a new one it might come in chrome or it might not. It just depends on what they had in their supply.

quote:Originally posted by Rick3410

When I went into their site, I didn't see any air cleaners at all. Are they only available aftermarket?

id="quote">
id="quote">For the most part, to the OEM manufacturers, these cast-iron engines are becoming obsolete dinosaurs. Many of todays dealerships are not even familair with them as they haven't been made for around twenty years. Unfortunately the guys in this club are too limited of a market to make performance parts for. Briggs sells their parts by part number and you have to look up the model, type, and code to get an illustrated parts list on their site. Sometimes these are scans of an original 1970's manual. You cannot get an acutal current photo of the item you want to buy. Typically you can take the B&S part number to a dealer and they will order it for you. They can call their distributor or the factory to get a stock check and can verify whether or not the air cleaner is chrome. That can be a several day process. I had done this once and they said the new ones were not chrome at that time. As far as I know they do not sell parts by grouping on the B&S site other than common little items like fuel filters and air filters for late model equipment.