Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B&S Carburetors

Rick3410

Has anyone out there done anything about carburetor appearance? I'm looking for a was to make the carburetor look great as well as function well. Years ago, I applied a blueing finish to three two-barrel carburetors for my corvette three deuce intake and they looked beautiful. I remember having to bake the finish on. Does anyone know about this process and where to get the stuff? Are there any other ideas on how to make the carb stand out (other than cleaning and polishing)?

I don't know, but I would like to see some photos of nice looking carbs polished up.

My 3112 carb is painted, but maybe it can be stripped down when I paint the engine, and leave the carb natural metal color.

Were they traditionally painted or not?

Can you put a nice paint job on them?

I have seen them painted and not painted. Mine is not painted. I believe they are made of aluminum and if so, should polish up to look like chrome. I had an edlebrock intake manifold polished once and it looked beautiful, just like chrome. Difficult to keep clean though. I'd like to see some photos as well.

Wow! That's a great idea. Looks like lots of color options. Wonder If I could find something close to a Simplicity red/orange? Probably not. This process could make for one nice looking carb! I guess the key to this is protecting the areas where you do not want the plating to reach. Some pretty large openings on a carb. Anyone out there done this?

I would think it would be OK for gas, they use anodized fittings on funny cars. Maybe a plating shop could give you more info on it.

Seems like the color options are really good also. From what I've read so far, It's a pretty simple process and hopefully won't be too expensive. Sure would like to see some carbs that have been redone! There must be some out there.

Excellent. Sounds like the perfect way to go. Has anyone out there anodized their carburetor? How well does the anodize hold up and is it easy to clean?

I will take a lower carb body into work on monday and see if I can get it done. I will have it clear andiose. To have the natural look to it. Not sure how long it could tale to get of back. And will post pics if they are able to do it will let ya know.

However if you use the thing it will quickly become a gas-soaked mess, due to the design of these carbs. Plating is difficult to do correctly cause it closes up orifices but it can be done if cash is no problem.

Polishing this type of alloy would result in a cool grey-green type hue, still not bad.

Rick, this was COMPLETELY disassembled, bead blasted, and a major-rebuild kit installed. The major kit includes the shaft plates, bushings, and the end cap you see installed with Indian Head gasket sealer.

If you saw this engine now 3 years later after hard use you would:(

I'm not familiar with anodizing. If you carry a dremel around with buffing accessories you can keep anything looking good, including teeth:D:D

Anodizing is a plating process that protects aluminum. It's gas resistant and it comes in many colors. Nice stuff but, you do need to protect all critical surfaces during the plate process. It's a total immersion process and gives a beautiful finish.

I did powder coat a carb for a model 19 a while back It works good and the gas does not affect the coating. I have not used it much but after 3 years on the narrow front B 1 it is still looking good

Sounds like powder coat really holds up. Did you do it yourself or did you send it out to be done? How did you protect the openings?

I believe anodizing only works on pure aluminum parts, typically it's done on 6061-T6 aluminum. The B&S carbs are a die casting consisting of an alloy of aluminum and zinc. The zinc will interfere with a proper anodizing process.

Ouch! I'll have to check into that but if you're right, then powder coating, painting or polishing will be the only way to go. Is there a reasonably priced powder coating process available for home use? I know this coating is somehow fused on then cured with I believe infrared heat. Any way to duplicate it at home? I'd hate to send out a bunch on carburetor pieces and hope to get them all back.

I myself would not powder coat a carb. Powder coating is much more gasoline resistant than paint, but not gasoline-proof. Paints function by evaporating a solvent, and contact with gasoline adds a solvent back to the paint - we all know the result of that! Powder coating is a polyester plastic that has been finely ground to a talc-like powder. After it is sprayed on, it is heated in an oven, causing the polyester to melt and flow over the part. Since it is not solvent based, the gasoline does not attack it quickly, but continued, long-term contact with gasoline will cause it to soften and possibly lose adhesion.

The carbs can certainly be polished, but they will never look like chrome. The zinc in the alloy causes a duller silver-gray appearance.

After discussing all of this, it should be clear why B&S leaves the carb in the natural metal finish.

It would appear you are quite knowledgeable about metals and surface finishes. What about an epoxy paint? Perhaps a two part? Would that hold up to extended exposure to gasoline?